35. Your Backup

"Did it work?"

"Yes, it did."

Draven had an exhausting day; he had spent hours preparing his meeting with Rebecca, crossing his fingers in hopes that it would work. He had also gone to his office to make certain the editors were being maintained, and Hector had been on his back about finishing a few more releasing chapters for various comic books.

He leaned against the wall and removed his shoes before passing by Eric and heading towards the kitchen. After pouring himself a glass of water, he faced Eric and asked, "You want one?"

"No, I'm alright."

It was quite awkward between them ever since the argument between Draven's team and Eric, but Draven's only focus at the moment was assuring that his plans followed through as they were supposed to. With Rebecca working with them at the moment, they would easily be able to manipulate Kyle.

Eric noticed the glint of suspicion and malicious amusement that crossed Draven's eyes for a split second as he thought about his plan, and he frowned, "What's up?"

His attention returned to Eric, and he shook his head, "Oh, it's just about the plan we came up with."

"Right," Eric sighed, "that you still can't tell me about."

"You know I would if I could."

"Yea I just don't know what to do for your team to like me again."

"Maybe you should focus on making me like you again." When he noticed Eric's eyes sharply turn to him, he shrugged his shoulders innocently, "Just being honest."

"I'm trying."

"I haven't seen you do anything that involves trying."

"I do everything you ask me to do—"

"Yes, thank you for grabbing my briefcase from my room when I asked," Draven snorted, rolling his eyes, "that doesn't count as trying." When Eric's lips tightened into a line, Draven continued, "Make me want you again."

"How am I supposed to do that?"

"Figure it out Eric," he chuckled, finishing his glass of water and placing it in the sink, "I'm not the one who played you, you played me. So if you really were sorry and want to be with me, I trust that you'll find a way."

"And I said I'm sorry."

"Words are just words if there's no evidence of action behind them," Draven commented as he turned off the light from the kitchen and stretched one of his arms. "You coming to bed?"

"I'll take the—" Eric's cellphone rang from the bedroom, and Eric furrowed his brows. Draven followed him to the bedroom, and when he turned on the screen and saw the caller I.D, he almost puked.

His mind drew a blank, and his mouth ran dry.

Fiancé.

"Answer it," Draven insisted.

But Eric shook his head, "I'll just let it ring."

"No, answer the phone."

"I'm scared—"

"Just answer it, he's miles away and I'm here with you." Draven waited a second before insisting again, "Answer the phone."

Eric sighed and pressed the green button, placing the phone on speaker. There were muffled sounds on the other line, and Eric gulped stressfully before stammering, "H-Hello?"

More muffled sounds before he finally heard a slobbering voice say, "I need you."

"He sounds drunk," Draven whispered alertedly.