61. There's Something Not Right

"We always planned on coming back," Miranda explained quietly, taking another sip of the red wine Draven had poured for them, "but you weren't the same Draven we had started working for."

"Your ambitions were focused elsewhere rather than new projects and new ideas," Jason added, leaning backwards on his couch. "Kyle was a priority for you, not us."

"And not yourself either," she quietly said.

Draven slowly nodded his head, "Kyle has a very...manipulative behaviour. Oddly enough, every time I was with him, since he was very menacing and dominant, even during our intimate times, it's as if, without even realizing it, I was letting him have control on every aspects of my life."

Miranda agreed, "We began noticing it too."

"I don't want to put the blame on Kyle since it was my fault for being vulnerable to him. I feel that after the argument with Eric where he told us he loved the both of us, I was weak and Kyle saw it as an opportunity to take control of me."

"The same way he took control of me, when he saved me from my suicide attempt about three years ago," Eric joined them, taking a seat beside Draven and pouring himself a glass of wine. "He's good at finding moments where someone is at their worst; that's the way he manipulates you."

"But I still said some things I shouldn't have," Draven sighed, meeting Eric's gaze for a moment before facing the others. "And should have never chosen Kyle over you guys. I should have defended you, fought for you, begged you to stay. I took you all for granted, and I'm sorry."

Miranda grinned, glancing towards Jason who pointed to her and said, "Your television speech made her cry." It was clearly something she had not wanted to be shared, since she punched Jason on the shoulder, who winked and furrowed his brows.

Draven chuckled, "I didn't mean to make you cry."

"No, it was just...touching to hear how much you truly cared about us."

"Eric really helped me out though; I was in a blackhole and Eric made me realize that I still had a chance to fix everything. Speaking of fixing things," he lowered his gaze for a moment then exhaled a sharp breath before announcing, "I'm thinking of bringing back Rebecca."

Jason was the one Draven mostly cared about, and instantly turned his head to make eye contact. It was evident Jason was taken aback, his face contorting from a frown to confusion. He then asked, "Why?"

"If it hurts you too much Jason, then I won't. But I don't think she intently meant to hurt us. You and I both know how significant this job is to Rebecca and how much she loved you; there must have been something else happening for her to ruin her entire career to be with Kyle."

Miranda frowned, "I never thought of it that way. He easily manipulated the both of you, then maybe he had his go at her as well."

"Regardless," Jason pushed forward in his seat, "she betrayed us."

"We'd known her for over five years, Jason," Miranda replied sadly, "I don't believe she could have turned her back on us that quickly unless Kyle influenced her."

"She cheated on me—"

"With the same person that literally manipulated two famous popular authors, and she's a woman; there must've have been something Jason."

There was a short pause, and Draven leaned forward as well, "Only if you are alright with it, Jason."

Although Jason had hatred for Rebecca, he still seriously cared for her. She had been there for him through rough times in his life, and they spent every day together at the same workplace for years. He knew all about her, and seeing her at work was one thing he had missed.

After a scoff, he leaned back onto his seat and looked away, "I don't care what you do."

"I just have two questions," Miranda murmured before putting down her glass of wine. Then, she turned her eyes towards Eric, "Number one; is he really on our side?"

"Yes, totally," Eric answered before Draven could.

Which Miranda did not appreciate, "I was asking my boss."

That caused Eric to gulp, and Draven's spine straightened. There was a few seconds of silence before Draven nodded his head, "I trust him, yes."

"I still don't like him," Jason grumbled, rolling his eyes.

"And two, what's happening with Kyle?"

"We both decided to stop associating with him," Draven explained.

"Wait, actually three questions," she pointed two the both of them, "are you dating?"

"No," they said simultaneously, and Draven's cheeks spiked red. "Not at all," he continued and Eric glanced elsewhere in embrassement, "we both need time to figure ourselves out before we can think of a relationship."

"I'm alright with that," Jason supported, "that shows growth."

"I'm sure it does—"

"Sorry I'm late!" They heard from the front door, "I was caught up at work and I didn't have time to grab some food on the way here, I'm sorry."

"Hector! We're in the living room," Miranda shouted, and when Draven saw Hector's face appear from around the corner, he began laughing.

"Hector," he stood to his feet and widened his arms, "long time no see."

"You saw me in the elevator the other day, loser," Hector smirked before stepping towards Draven and tightening him into a hug. "The Chancellor was pissed when he found out I let you on his floor; I was suspended for two weeks."

"Two weeks?!" Draven exclaimed, "No way."

"And I'm on probation. He's only giving me this hard of a punishment since it was you—but I don't regret doing it," he smiled.

"Wait guys," Eric spoke, catching all of their attentions, "there's something not right." When all their eyes turned into confusion, Eric experiencing a strange feeling in his gut, he furrowed his brows and eyed the room slowly. Then, when it dawned on him, he finally asked, "Where's Sophie?"