The birthday

Tennessee House

A woman walks outside the house from the kitchen door.

Woman: Rudy! [Whistles.] Rudy. Come on! It's too hot to make me come looking for you.

She bends down and picks up a toy. When she turns around Klaus suddenly appears in front of her. She gets scared.

Klaus: I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to scare you.Woman: Can I help you?Klaus: Yeah, my car hmm, my car ran out of gas a couple of miles back. Eh I feel like I've been walking forever yours is the first house I come to so I was just hoping I could use your phone?
Woman: Don't you have a cell phone?Klaus: Huh, yeah...[Pulls phone from pocket.] Battery died. Look, I promise I'm not a serial killer I just wanna use your phone.
Woman: Sure.
Klaus: Soo, I can come in?
Woman: No, I'll get the phone and I'll bring it out to you.
Klaus: I thought you country folks were supposed to be more trusting.
Woman: I'm from Florida.
Klaus: Well, that explains it.

He grabs her throat and compels her.

Klaus: Now show me a little southern hospitality. Sweet pea.

In the kitchen another woman is cooking and she walks to the counter with the frying pan.

Other woman: I bet you a hundred dollars that dog ran off to a house with air conditioning.

She turns around and sees the her and Klaus entering the kitchen. Klaus is holding her by her neck with one hand. The blonde woman is sobbing.

Other woman: What's going on?
Klaus: Please don't be alarmed. I was told Ray Sutton lives here.
Other woman: He's almost never here. He's on the road mostly.
Klaus: But I expect he makes it home, once a month. That's what I thought. Where is he now?

She doesn't answer.

Klaus: If I have to make you tell me it's going to be infinitely more painful for you. Hmm.

He smiles. The woman runs out of the kitchen and opens the front door, but Stefan is standing in the doorway.

Other woman: Aaaah!

Klaus and the blonde woman come up behind her.

Klaus: I love it when they run!
Other woman: He's in Toll. It's near the border. A bar called Southern Comfort. It's on Highway 41.
Klaus: Thank you my love.

He touches the first woman's hair.

Klaus: Now, may my friend come in?Woman: [Crying.] Yes.

The other woman looks terrified as Stefan comes in. Klaus pushes the blonde woman to Stefan.

Klaus: Kill this one quickly. [Looks at the other woman.] And make that one suffer. I'll be in the car.

Klaus leaves with a grin and the women start crying.

Woman: Please don't!

Stefan just looks at her and transforms. He bites her, and she screams. The other woman screams too. Outside the house, Klaus is walking over to the car, smiling. Klaus get in the car and sees Sky behind.

Klaus: Hello love.
Sky: Hey daddy. What did you do and where is uncle Stefan?
Klaus: It's a secret.

He smiled at her.

Southern Comfort Bar

Inside Ray walks up to the bar.

Man: What's up Ray?
Ray: Hey Red, get me a beer.

Klaus comes up next to Ray.

Klaus: Ray? Ray Sutton?
Ray: Who wants to know?

Ray turns around and sees a man with a sleeping child on his arms.