Homecoming

Salvatore Boarding House

Stefan is calling Klaus, who is in the woods in Portland.

Klaus: Portland is fantastic. Once you get over all the whiny music and healthy looking people, it is literally a breeding ground for werewolves.
Stefan: Your father is dead.
Klaus: What did you say to me?
Stefan: Oh, my mistake. Not your actual father and not dead. Mikael. Daggered. What do you want me to do with the body?
Klaus: Well, first I want you to explain to me exactly what happened.

One hour earlier, Salvatore Boarding House.

Stefan: Aye, let's say that Mikael followed Elena in here. He tried to grab her, so he could use her as bait.
Elena: And you what? Vervained him?
Damon: No, we vervained him! This guy is an Original. To make it realistic.
Stefan: Okay, fine. We vervained him, and in the process discovered that he had a dagger.
Elena: Which he planned to use on Rebekah, but instead...
Stefan: We drove it through his heart.
Elena: And what happens when he asks to see Mikael's body?
Damon: Good point! You my brother have been compelled to do what Klaus says. So the idea is to lure him back here and kill him...last thing we need is you getting tripped up and tongue-tied.
Stefan: Well, don't look at me. I am just in charge of getting him back here.
Elena: Klaus is smart. If we tell him that Mikael is dead, he'll want proof.
Mikael: Then I shall be dead.
Elena: What if he wants to see you in person?
Mikael: Well that means our plan is working. Klaus will absolutely want to see my body. You lure him here, and I will kill him.
Stefan: With what? Those daggers won't work on him.
Mikael: Well, I'm in possession of a stake fashioned from the wood of the ancient white oak tree. The one that left these ashes when it burned.
Stefan: Where is it?

Mikael is dipping a dagger in the ashes of the white oak tree.

Mikael: Not here. The knowing of its location is my insurance policy.
Stefan: Against what?
Mikael: You leaving this in my heart. You see, a vampire can't dagger an original without dying. So...it falls to you.

Mikael hands over the dagger to Elena.

Elena: Y...You want me to actually dagger you?
Mikael: Klaus will leave nothing to chance- especially when it comes to trust.

Klaus is on the phone with Stefan in Portland in the present time.

Klaus: I wanna see him. I want to see his rotting body for myself.
Stefan: Well, he is here. Come by whenever.
Klaus: If you are lying to me Stefan, your compulsion will expose you. So, answer with your life: Is what you are saying the truth?

Short flashback to Elena driving the dagger into Mikael's heart. Stefan is watching the scene.

Stefan: It's true. I saw it with my own eyes.
Klaus: I wanna talk to Rebekah.
Stefan: That's not a problem. She is right here.

Stefan hands over the phone to Rebekah.

Rebekah: Hello Nik.
Klaus: Rebekah, love. What's this I hear about Mikael's tragic run in with the dagger?
Rebekah: It's true. He's finally out of our lives for good. I miss you. I'm miserable here.
Klaus: I'll be home soon.
Rebekah: Good. I'll see you then, brother. [She hangs up the phone and turns to the others.] He bought it. He's coming home.
Damon: Now- was that easy or what?
Elena: Let's just get this over with.

She pulls the dagger out of Mikael's chest.
Later, Mikael is still dead on the floor; Rebekah is in a chair, painting her toe nails while waiting for Mikael to come to life again. He starts to move, coughs, and gets up.