Chapter 36: I'm okay

- Xavier's POV

"Mom, I miss you."

I am currently standing at the door to my son's room. My parents left awhile ago only after I promised my mother a lunch date so they may meet Heather properly. I wanted to check up on him but once again I can see who he went to for comfort. In the span of two months, he has began to open up and specifically become more happy. I know that it wouldn't have been possible without the help of Heather. My sweetheart. It makes me smile just thinking about her. 

"I miss you too Lil Man." Heather says in a cracked voice. 

"Mom, are you okay?" 

"I will be buddy... you are helping."

Luca smiles at his stuff wolf. I am still concerned but I know she said she would call so I am trying to be patient. That's doing wonders since you are now creeping in on your son. I roll my eyes at my own thoughts. 

"Mom, are you coming back tonight?" 

"I want to lil man but I-" Heather stops and clears her throat. "I need to stay here tonight." 

"Will you be at school tomorrow?" 

"Absolutely. You just take it easy and I promise you will see me tomorrow." 

"I love you mom." Luca says gently while hugging the stuff animal. 

"Momma loves you more, sweet dreams." 

I step into the room while he lays down on the bed cuddling the stuff animal. I sit on the side of his bed and run my hand through his hair. He looks towards me but I can see some emotion swirling in his face. 

"Are you okay Luca?"

"Yes Dad, I just..." He trails off and sighs hugging the animal tighter. 

"What is it Luca?"

"I just was wondering, did she leave because of me?" I could see the tears pressing to fall in his eyes. He felt rejected. I cup his cheek and make him look at me. His tears bout to spill. 

"She loves you Luca and I truly believe something important came up which is why she left. It had nothing, I repeat, NOTHING to do with you." He nods his head and closes his eyes. I sit there for a minute looking over my son. He has become so attached to her that it hurts just to see her leave. I run a hand over my face before leaving his room. I go back to my own room and sit on the side of the bed. 

Ding

I look over to see my phone on the side of my bed. Theo sending me a text. 

 7:07 pm- I think you should see this: 

Multi billionaires Drake family been attacked! Sources say son Christopher Drake has been hospitalized for severe wounds. Older sister Heather Drake is still no where to be found! 

I continue scrolling through the article feeling my heart rate sky rocket. Her brother has been attacked. This must be the reason Heather took off. I decide to call her. It rings only once before she picks up. 

"H-Hello?" She says sniffling.

"Sweetheart, are you okay?" I ask while rubbing the back of my neck. 

"No... No I'm not." She says with a humorless chuckle. I sigh and lay back on the bed. 

"I saw the news." I say gently waiting to see how she reacts. 

"Yea." She says dryly. "Did you read how they think I am currently sipping cocktails while my brother fights for his life?"

"No I-"