Six

"This dress is itchy," I complained much like a child as I stared in the mirror

"This dress is itchy," I complained much like a child as I stared in the mirror. Kandi rolled her eyes as she finished fixing my hair.

"Stop complaining bitch." Kandi scolded, sticking another bobby-pin into my head- literally my fucking head- making me wince. "Stop moving. What the fuck is wrong with you?"

"You just stabbed me with the bobby-pin." I hissed, moving away from her and clutching my head. "I appreciate the fact that you are trying to help me find a way out of this, but killing me isn't the wave." I snapped making her laugh.

"I have to make sure this is secure. We don't need your hair falling out of place."

"I don't see why I have to be picture perfect. I ain't going to see my Prince Charming. I'm legitimately cursed with no soulmate." Kandi made a noise as if she didn't agree with what I said but she didn't say much more about it. She just moved my head back towards her and stabbed me once again with another bobby-pin. "Motherfucker!"

"Perfect," Kandi said suddenly, turning me so I was facing the mirror. I stared at myself for a second, letting my eyes zero in on every detail of the hairstyle and once I was sure I memorized everything about it, I looked at Kandi.

"This actually is really cute."

"Don't ever doubt me. I know what I'm doing." She said with a wink, putting away the hair supplies. "We gotta hurry. Your mother warned me to make sure you weren't late and if we leave now, we'll just be making it on time." I rolled my eyes as I adjusted my dress.

"Being late to parties is apart of me being me. It's too late for her to try and change me now." Kandi laughed, pushing my shoulder.

"Let's go. You can deal with your mother's wraith on your own terms. I rather not have her cussing me out. She's scary." I made a face at her as I stood.

"You're overreacting. Her threats are open-ended."

"I don't want to chance if she'd actually take on these threats." Kandi did a spin, popping her collar in the meantime. "How do I look? Single and ready to mingle?"

"You look like someone's divorced mom who's finding herself." I joked, cracking a smile as I stared at her outfit.

"Fuck you," She said with a laugh.

"You look amazing as always, K. If I wasn't straight, I'd for sure fuck with you."

"I'd always fuck you." She said with a wink, grabbing my clutch. "Well, if you got rid of some of the shit you do but other than that, yeah, I would rock your world." I shook my head with a loud laugh. "Now let's go." She instructed, pulling my arm and successfully pulling me out of the room.

***

When we walked into the ballroom, I looked around, taking in the scenery. It was decorated beautifully, I'll admit that but I don't think I would ever do all of this if I were in her shoes. Especially when it's a vow renewal of only one year. I understand you want to renew your vows a year later but a full-blown party full of over one hundred people is just a little too much.