Thirteen

You know that feeling when you're floating above the world? Or nothing is wrong or could go wrong? Yeah, that's how I'm feeling right now

I can't feel my face at how hard I'm smiling, making me forget about any and all pain or troubles I had earlier in the day. Xing was telling me about his life back in Japan, speaking on his parents as if they were King and Queen, it was honestly adorable. Every once in a while, he turned back to look at me, making sure I was okay and comfortable.

He was cooking — I couldn't tell what it was but it smelled amazing— and every time he added something to the pot, he turned to look at me with a small smirk on his face but never said anything about it, nor did I.

We were in these positions for almost an hour before he asked me where my bowls were. I pulled down two of them, along with cups and wine glasses, then set the table with the cups while he plated— more like bowled— our meal. He moved over to me, sitting a bowl in my place then one in his before sitting down in his seat.

"You eat first." He said eagerly, a smile on his face. I smirked, sitting down and stared down at the bowl, slightly confused.

"Before I eat it, what is it?" I asked. He nodded slowly.

"Miso soup." He answered. "Made with miso and dashi."

"What exactly is that?" I questioned. I did indeed go into the store with him but I sort of got side tracked by my favorite chips that were on sale so I didn't pay attention to what he put in the cart and barely paid attention when I paid for the groceries— not caring at all for the price. It could have been a thousand dollars and I wouldn't have batted an eyelash before sticking my card into the chip reader.

"Miso is paste." He pointed to the white substance in the bowl.

"Looks like tofu." I muttered making Xing chuckle.

"Better than tofu." I looked up into his eyes and watched as they crinkled deeply along with his laugh. His crow feet doing something to me, and I'm not scared to admit that.

"I'll like it?"

"I think you will love it." He said, his smile widening in such an adorable way, I'd feel bad if I didn't like it and he would be so disappointed.

I took the spoon that was on the side of the bowl, stirring the contents before scooping a nice amount onto the metal object. I looked up at him then brought the spoon to my lips, taking in the contents then pausing briefly as it hit my tongue. It was silent for a minute as Xing waited for my reaction.

As I swallowed, I put the spoon back beside the bowl, staring at it again then twisting my lips to the side. "Do you like it?" Xing asked, his heart on his sleeve right now. I smiled politely and nodded.

"It's good. I'll admit it." His face fell.

"But you no like." He said making me frown at how heartbroken he sounded and looked.