Nine

I was laying on my bed when I heard the front door to my apartment open and close

I was laying on my bed when I heard the front door to my apartment open and close. I didn't have to get up to know who it was. And no, it's not Kandi. Kandi was laying beside me. Both of us waited as we listened to the heels of my mother's shoes as they became closer to my room. Just as she grew closer, we looked up at the door, seeing my mother's bright but otherwise phony smile.

"Kandice, I didn't know you would be here." She spoke softly, a hint of irritation evident in not only her voice but her stance. She looked like she was seconds away from tearing into my ass about what, I don't know but she looked heated.

"I just go by Kandi now, Mrs. Harrison." My mother made a face, meaning she didn't really like what Kandi said but she didn't stay focused on that for much longer, turning to face me with a scowl on her face.

"Can I speak to my daughter alone?" Kandi looked over at me, waiting for a confirmation that everything was okay and that she could escape from my mother's wraith whilst I have to suffer. I rolled my eyes before nodding.

"I'll see you later, B. Don't forget about the conference call at seven."

"I'm sure Grace wouldn't allow me to." I joked. "Thanks." She nodded, grabbing her shoes then moved out of the room quicker than it takes to make some oatmeal. I stared at the door for about a second before turning and giving my mother my attention.

"Hi," I muttered. She stared at me for a second, criticizing every little detail about me, more than likely, she was bitching about how messy my hair is. I had it up in a messy ponytail, not that it should matter to her much. I mean, I don't have to look amazing in my home.

"Ain't no hi, Bili. You have nothing to say?" I shrugged as I shifted on my bed.

"I don't know what you want me to do." I stated honestly. "I don't remember doing anything so, excuse me if I look or seem a little bit lost because I am lost."

"You missed your sister's engagement party." I rolled my eyes.

"So?" I asked.

"So, this is very important to her, Bili. She wants you there and you're not being fair to her or the rest of the family."

"Why would I be somewhere when I know they're going to talk about me and then act phony before asking me for money. Trina doesn't even want me there."

"No one does that, Bili."

"You all do!" I said angrily. "I'm not stupid." My mother narrowed her eyes at me before shaking her head.

"Her bachelorette party is in a month and her wedding is the month after that. You better be there."

"For what? For the pictures? So we look like a big happy family? But we're not. You disowned me when you learned that-."

"Shut the fuck up!" My mother shouted before slapping me across my face. My head turned to the right and my left cheek stung from the hit. "I told you never to speak about that ever again but here you go keep running your mouth." I blinked a couple of times before turning to face her, my eyes now stinging with tears. But not because I was hurt, but because I'm angry. Even though she's done a lot of fucked up shit to me, I would never hit my mother back, not that I haven't thought about it.

"You're going to be there. Whether you like it or not. And you're going to smile for those fucking pictures."

"Fuck you." I seethed. The bitch has the nerve to smirk before walking out of my room, slamming and breaking things in the process. I closed my eyes and ran my fingers through my hair.

"I need a fucking drink."

***

"Are you okay?" I heard a voice ask, bringing me out of my thoughts and making me turn to face them. I came face to face with a familiar face, a face I didn't want to see but I'm glad it was them instead of a creep.

"Were you following me?" I asked. He shook his head quickly.

"No. I was just walking through the park and I saw you. I swear on everything I love, which is you mainly, that I wasn't stalking you or anything."

"Why are you walking through the park at nine o'clock at night?"

"Why are you sitting in the park at nine o'clock at night?" I pursed my lips together before turning back to face the fountain.

"Touché." I could feel him moving closer but he didn't make any unnecessary movements, he just sat beside me, keeping some space between us which I was internally grateful for. He sighed, rubbing his hands together then looked at me.

"Do you want to talk about what's wrong?"

"No," I answered honestly. I kept my issues to myself except for when I told Kandi things because she's my best friend but other than that, no one else knows what's going on in my life - besides parts of my sex life for some reason - and I would like to keep it that way.

"You're always so secretive."

"I just like my privacy is all." I told him honestly.

"I mean, I've seen your private parts before, literally nothing should be private between us anymore." I glared at him at his statement and he just nodded slowly then looked away, towards the fountain before clearing his throat.

"Are you still mad at me?" He asked making me glance over at him.

"I told you I wasn't mad."

"You don't act like you weren't mad." I sighed shaking my head. "Can we just have a conversation without you catching an attitude?"

"Tommy, I'm trying my hardest to keep my resolve together right now and you're not helping me at all." I whispered to him truthfully. He nodded, keeping quiet for a bit.

I pursed my lips together. "Is it bad that all I want to do is to have sex?" I questioned quietly.

"I mean, no but yes. You said you were trying to get your life together and I'm assuming sex is the reason why it wasn't together in the first place." He murmured, obviously afraid that he would say the wrong thing but right now, nothing was wrong and I had no idea what I wanted to hear. Everything sounded right.

"What's on your mind?"

"Nothing," I whispered. Tommy sighed.

"Will there ever be a time where we can talk without you shutting down or having an attitude?" He asked.

"Probably not." I answered honestly.

"I'm sorry." He said faintly. I didn't say anything immediately which I guess made Tommy nervous. "For everything I put you through. I even apologized to Danielle. I fucked up but I'm telling the truth when I say I love you. I knew I loved you for a while but I couldn't really do much about it. I mean, I knew you would break us off. I always caught that vibe like you didn't want love but did it stop me from falling in love with you, no."

"You're talking entirely too fast and too much." I stated with a frown, rubbing my temples.

"I know how to relieve your stress." He stated, now moving in my direction, placing his hand on my thigh and giving it a faint squeeze. I closed my eyes, trying to keep my resolve and get my thoughts together.

I don't need him. I don't need him.

I started a mantra in my head, trying my hardest to stick to my goal. But my body had other plans. I could feel my core heating up at the thought of having sex right now. Sex had always been my escape, and Tommy knew that.

"Come on." He coaxed standing up. I stared at him, debating my options for a minute, trying to figure out what I was going to do. Do I cave in and relieve my stress or do I hold it in and suffer more?

I gulped before making my decision.