Chapter 5- The Moonsea

Twilightpaw mumbled in her light sleep knowing she had to wake up sooner or later. Soft delicate moss whispered in her ear that made it hard to wake up. The comfortable sand felt on her squishy paws. She heard two paw steps coming in the camp.

"I don't get why we have to do tick duty and the others aren't." Brightpaw grumbled followed by Hollypaw's approvingly mew.

"I don't get Twilightpaw doesn't have to to tick duty. Instead she gets to go to the Moonsea!" Hollypaw gossiped about the latest news.

"It's not fair. Just because she's rumored to be the daughter of StarClan doesn't mean she is. And Leafivy said to the other warriors that Twilightpaw will go to every gathering so StarClan sends signs to her!" Hollypaw growled under her throat. The sisters talked more about Twilightpaw that was growls, snorts, and hisses.

"Vixennose is being too nice and so is Leafivy. Hey! We should just ignore Twilightpaw shouldn't we? Hollypaw?" Brightpaw exclaimed by her idea. The sleep acting cat sobbed silently. It was the lonely daughter of StarClan rumored listening to the conversation. I wish I could be MorningClan blooded!

When the two she cats stopped chatting for a moment, Twilightpaw acted like she just woken up and yawned. She headed out seeing her mentor.

"Morning Twilightpaw. Since you are going to be traveling, eat some fresh kill and than meet Sandstar and me at the entrance at before sunhigh. Also get traveling herb from Fernfoot." Leafivy explained his apprentice dipped her head and walked to the fresh kill pile. She picked few small fish and began to eat. They tasted good and delicious, it was probably caught just now.

After the 'paw ate, she went to Fernfoot's den like folded to. "Traveling herbs are ready to go. It will taste disgusting but you'll need it." Fernfoot explained while sorting out the low stocked herbs. The black she kit nodded and started to settle near the unfamiliar herbs. Combined scent of plants wafted in Twiloghtpaw's nose as she wrinkled her snout.

The herbs tasted disgusting as Fernfoot explained. It tasted like sea water and mud mixed together and had a weird texture. Not hard like crabs, nor slimy like fish. Trying to not let the scent wrinkle her muzzle, she ate fast and took a gulp. Fernfoot let a murrow of laughter as he waved his tail to get out.

"Ready young apprentice?" Sandstar waited in front of the camp entrance as Leafivy stood next to him. Her mentor was grooming his pelt as he had made it smooth soft fur on his chest. The young apprentice nodded as the patrol moved. They went through the palm trees and stones as they made their way out. Twilightpaw kept up the pace considering her very tiny paw steps.

The patrol walked at the bay with sea water beside them. Twilightpaw saw small ice floating in the water showing the freeze. Some crabs hid when the cats passed with loud heavy paw steps.

Sandstar's patrol never stopped until the sun was high up. Twilightpaw panted her senses a bit fuzzy.

"Let's eat, shall we?" Sandstar finally stopped as the she cat relaxed. Leafivy nodded as an agreement and gave a signal to Twilightpaw for her to go with him. They paced a couple of fox lengths as the mentor teaches.

"Catching prey is one of the important tasks of being a warrior." He instructed. "Let's see your first try." Leafivy crouched down into a perfect hunter crouch with his body low and ears flat. After studying the crouch carefully, she copied her mentor her belly almost touching the sand.

"Great job Twilightpaw!" Leafivy praised as he continued, "MorningClan hunts on sand, and sand could be quite difficult to not make a noise. Raise your paws carefully but low, and don't let sand fall from your paws."