Chapter 19

Thunderclaw woke up not in the comfy nest, in the Dark Forest. But no signs of Snakefang, Addertail, Drowningspirit, nor Flickergaze.

"Thunderclaw..." A faint mew of Snakefang came from nowhere. The tabby tom looked around but saw nothing. He sniffed the air but no trace of the golden tom. Ambushing?

"Snakefang?" He called, his voice echoing through the black ocean.

"Our connection is weak, the land is too far for us to—contact..." The faint voice of Snakefang quietly echoed.

"I found Blood. My plan is to earn the Army's trust, and leave without a trace." Thunderclaw explained quickly. Chilly wind, even though it is the beginning of new leaf blew.

"Good...I cannot talk long..."

Snakefang's low voice disappeared like mist clearing by the breeze.

*********************************

"Morning young Thunderclaw."A familiar mew greeted. Thunderclaw shuffled to his feet although being careful not to destroy his moss nest. His senses returned and saw the purplish black fur of Vulture.

"Care for a good hunt? It's the perfect weather" The first command asked cheerfully. Near the Soldiers entrance, Lemon sat politely neatly wrapping her tail to her paws. They met their eyes and she gave a silent signal meaning that this was a rare opportunity; a chance to prove his worth and trust.

"Thank you for asking. I would like to go." Thunderclaw answered politely, a hard thing for him to do. Before Twilightspeckle had told him all the mistake of being 'polite' he had been horrible at showing respect to the senior warriors. He used to speak weirdly and unusual, but now he spoke perfectly.

Vulture nodded with a smile across his face. Thunderclaw followed the first command outside of camp, along with Lemon brushing furs with Vulture. Vulture purred by Lemon's behavior approvingly, and the she cat purred back. Lemon was being treated like a kit following it's mother's orders.

"We hunt mouse, rabbits, and any prey we see editable." The first command meowed. "Let's see how well you hunt."

Vulture treated like he was an apprentice, but Thunderclaw kept his thoughts to himself. He sniffed the air and scented a fresh scent of mouse. He never hunted a mouse before but surely it cannot be different than catching crabs?

The seaprey hunter crouched low into a hunter crouch. Sand never made his paws heavy and slowly drown easier to stalk. He and his tail slithered like a snake ready to strike down prey with it's fangs. Thunderclaw pounced at the sight of the brown small scavenger making a quick killing bite neatly in the neck.

"Great job Thunderclaw!" Vulture praised in a happy tone with Lemon at his back. The she cat chanted a purr with him her whiskers twitching happily. "Now let us continue our hunt shall we?"

Vulture, Lemon, and the warrior hunted successfully the affect of greenleaf making prey easier to find. They caught a total of five mouses, three rabbits, and two what the Army call mole. The mole looked like a big rabbit with darker fur than a rabbit. Thunderclaw sniffed it curiously.

"Let's eat than head back to camp." Vulture yawned settling himself on the ground. Lemon brushed her fur with the tom's and sniffed the good smelling fresh kill.

"We're not going to bring it back to camp first?" Thunderclaw asked quite shocked.

"Why? I'm tired and I mind for some fresh caught prey." Vulture gave a puzzled look. This isn't a clan, he reminded himself.

"Please excuse what I said." Thunderclaw added than the three cats munched up their prey. The warrior has never ate land prey but it didn't taste so bad. Kits to elders they say NoonClan and NightClan prey tasted gross like fish dung but Thunderclaw enjoyed it. It was like a mix of crab and fish together with a smooth nature taste.