Chapter 20

Thunderclaw's fear was nothing to be worried about. Dazzle has not told any cat about his real identity. And it gave him a chance to spy on cats.

Although Thunderclaw has been thinking that the young tom has gained full trust, half of the cats still suspected him. He has been foolish that he thought respect was gained that easily.

"I just can't trust him. He had a weird stench when he first came." Some cats growled behind his back. Thunderclaw has been more worried about his trust, as he decided to not act now. But some cats still trusted him, like Zen, Lemon, Flame, and Mouse. The two toms, Flame and Mouse has been interested in knowing Dazzle. They gossiped that she was one of the prettiest she cats in the Army.

"Oh I was hoping to get her." Flame meowed while chewing his prey. "But Dazzle's kind of hard brained. She's guile and avoid us so she technically didn't break the rules."

Thunderclaw managed a fake purr out of his throat trying to sound amused. Mouse added,

"And Dazzle's a daughter of fourth-command so we can gain loyalty and respect." He sounded pleased. Than the brown eared tom ate a bite of the rabbit.

"Uh okay." Thunderclaw relied with a stab of guilt in his voice. Did he hurt the fourth command's daughter by talking to her often? He felt bad for Dazzle now.

Words spilled out of the foolish young warrior spy, "Is the Army always like this? Is beauty everything about she cats?"

Thunderclaw wanted to take back his words. He has forgotten Lemon's advise, a bad thing to become distrusted. The tom wished he could swallow back his words. But the reactions of Flame and Mouse was a sign he couldn't.

"I never thought it like that." Flame shrugged. The brown spotted eared tom nodded.

"It was always like that since I was born. Never gave it a thought." Thunderclaw was shocked to see the reply of the two Army toms. He thought they were cruel but it was the normal of them. They never saw a different kind of view or a different way to live.

"It just feels weird that beauty is everything. I ain't good looking." Thunderclaw knew this was a big risk, but his curiosity outmatched his worry. To gave the risk a little ease, he joked and showed off his glossy fur.

Flame meowed, "I dunno. But to think of it, it does feel wrong." Mouse mewed the same thing. They three toms were bothered by the second approaching.

Hurricane ordered bossily. "I want you three to go hunting. Take a Novice with you." He than swooshed his tail and walked boldly somewhere else. Thunderclaw noticed Flame and Mouse bowing until the second command was out of sight. The Army really do take ranks very seriously.

Mouse yawned and stood up. "I might as well take Raindrop with us. Thunderclaw can you fetch a Noice Chipmunk?"

The warrior dipped in reply by the Soldier's order. What a strange name, he thought for a second. Flame padded over to give the half eaten prey to somecat else who was hungry. Thunderclaw searched his memories where the Novice's den is. He than padded over to a smallish den and peeked his head over. He saw two young cats, big as MorningClan's apprentices.

"Hi." One of the Novice greeted. As expected, they were both strong looking toms.

"Do one of you want too go for a hunt?" Thunderclaw asked. The other tom twitched his ear in the corner of the den. He raised his head and asked.

"Is Raindrop coming?"  The sun yellow tom eagerly asked. The older tom gave a polite nod. This tom must be Chipmunk.

"I'll go." Chipmunk volunteered standing up enthusiastically. He looks and sound like me when I was a apprentice. Thunderclaw swam to his memories when his mentor told him they were going to training with Leafivy and Twilightspeckle.  A happened knowing the cat you know is coming with you—a chance to talk during a busy warrior schedule. Chipmunk reminded so much of his apprenticeship.

The older tom swooshed his stumpy tail for the Novice to follow. Thunderclaw silently wished for the young sun yellow tom's love to be bloom. And hoped Raindrop was actually a she.

The two toms met the rest of the hunting party with Mouse, Flame, and Raindrop (she cat). Chipmunk bounded eagerly and nudged his cheek to Raindrop. A purr from the young she cat, a real comfortable purr replied. She nuzzled the Novice happily unlike the hesitant silent sighing Lemon's. Thunderclaw remembered about him and Twilightspeckle almost doing that while Bladeclaw was watching. It was a close moment to earn a scowl. Bladeclaw was quite touchy about that since he still doesn't have a mate.

Mouse, acting as the head of the hunting party, swiftly swooshed his tail to follow. The patrol got to their feet at once and followed the leader. Thunderclaw paced himself next to Flame.

"They're so cute together." He gave a easy purr to Flame. Flame purred back,

"Yep. And it's a good thing they are since their going to produce a fine litter of kits." Than the Soldier pipped. "No cat wants her anyways."

The clan cat froze for a moment. He gave a glance at Raindrop. It was true that Raindrop was not very beautiful with a slithering pair of eyes and two small ears. But is it something to be judging about? "Yeah..."

Thunderclaw managed a mew of agreement. He dared not to push them too much, he already risked that twice today. As if no sharing tongues happened, Flame slithered away to a bush in a hunting crouch. In a quick moment, he pounce than scrambled out with a prey in his mouth. This tom was a great hunter he must admit.

Than at the same time, Raindrop crouched into hunting possession. Her black, dark brown, and white furred blew by the wind. Her slim eyes sharpened than dashed for the prey. Her quick fast legs was a advantage as she brought a rabbit in her mouth a moment later. In a couple of heartbeats, Thunderclaw smelled the scent of mouse. He crouched down into a MorningClan hunting crouch as he swiftly caught it.

"Great hunt!" Mouse purred. Chipmunk gave a affectionate lick on the right ear of Raindrop's.

The patrol was successful bringing mouthful of prey. Hurricane praised with his deep purr. Chipmunk and Raindrop seemed proud of it. Just before Thunderclaw was about to go off to his den, Raindrop stopped his way.

"Can we talk to you—in private?" Behind her paws was Chipmunk with a stern face. Thunderclaw gulped than nodded. He hoped for the good of what the two young cats were going to ask.

They lead the warrior outside of camp, far away and secured. When the three cats settled down, Raindrop started to explain. "My friend, Dazzle told me about your memory. About the clans, about a place called MorningClan."

Guess Dazzle didn't keep the secret from every cat. Thunderclaw sighed to himself. "Yeah. That's where I came from."

This time Chipmunk explained. "We heard everything about the clans from Dazzle. About leader, deputy, warriors, mentors, apprentices, queens, elders and mates." The young sun brown tom wondered for a long moment. "Me and Raindrop wants to be like that. Being mates forever and the way you live. Leaders having respect and fairness, deputies assigning patrols, warriors hunting and patrolling, mentors teaching young's like us, apprentices dreaming to become an full warrior with desire, queens raising kits with full support, elders telling stories, and she cats having equal respect. It's a dream land to us."

Before Thunderclaw can mew back, Raindrop interrupted. "I can't dream me being treated equally. Having a easy talk with other toms except Chipmunk. Having choices. It might be embarrassing but Dazzle told me about you and Twilispeckle being mate's. I want to be like that with him."

The small tortoiseshell she cat waved her tail to Chipmunk. Thunderclaw was finally given time to mew. "I can take you there—but there's a deal you have to make."

The two cats nodded eagerly to go on. The warrior explained, "Never tell this to any cat. Do you understand?"

Raindrop and Chipmunk gave a determined nod. Somehow, trust flooded to Thunderclaw. "I'm here to rescue Blood...as a mission. If you two helped me I'll take you two to my clan. If my leader accepted you two, and she will, she is a wise leader who is eager to help miserable cats. You will be in my clan as a part of MorningClan."

"Of course!" Chipmunk pipped in. "When though?"

Thunderclaw's answer was determined. "Today. Tonight."