Changed Fate

Anna

We got into his car and drove to main city again. He drove us to a garage type of place. There were many junk cars kept at the side. The place smelled of automobile grease and tobacco. Clearly people over here liked to smoke a lot.

"Hey Peter." Mr Mason yelled.

"Andrick. You old bastard." A man in his fifty's said hugging Mr Mason. "What brought you here suddenly?"

"This is my new student. You see she lives in the main city. So coming to me daily will be a little difficult. She has university and a part time job. Can you get her something to help her move around the city." He asked.

"Depends. How much can she pay?" He asked looking at me and I looked down.

Two months ago money was nothing for me. I had changed sports car every month. And now, I can't even afford an old, rusted car.

"Right now nothing sir. But I do need a vehicle." I said in a low voice trying to hide my pain.

I, Anabeth Parish, who never did a piece of hard work in my life, have to look for part time jobs. I never spent a second of my day thinking of my outward appearance. I never cared a what people think about me, have to go through hours of exercise to loose some extra fat, use meaningless things on my face. And all good all of it has done to me is make me sweat and I don't even see a single development in myself.

And now, I can't even afford a trash to use. No matter how strong I think I am, everyone has their limit. And I'm feeling utterly helpless now. I've never felt this way my entire life. I feel so useless.

I couldn't stop my tears from running out. I've suppressed it for so long. I can't do it any more. I really can't.

I felt a warm hand on my shoulder. I looked up to see Mr Mason's consoling gaze. "Rome wasn't built in a day. Success requires hard work and patience. Keep your cool. You will reach there someday." I nodded.

This what Camille said as well. What am I being terrified for. She was right. I'm strong. I have so many to support me. And I have my dreams. I'll reach there eventually. I just need to stay calm, patient and work hard.

I wiped my tears quickly getting into my usual self. "I don't have any money. Can I get one on loan. I'll pay you monthly from salary." I pleaded.

Mr Peter looked at me up and down and then said, "you look pretty strong. Can you do heavy lifting?" He asked.

"Absolutely." I replied. I've always been proud to be a tomboy who could beat guys twice her size into pulp.

"Do you mind working here?" He asked. I looked around.

There was a time I wouldn't even keep a foot at a place like this. I took a deep breath. "Sure." I said. Beggars can't be choosers.

"Great. We are having a lack of people. Every Saturday and Sunday, at least five hours a week." He said.

"Okay." I said.

"Great. Let me show you what I have in mind for you." He said taking us to the back of the garage. A grey Toyota car was standing there. Not very big, nighter very flashy. But decent from a middle class' perspective. "It's my personal product. I rebuilt the engine to make it run faster. And totally safe. What do you think?" He asked.

"Looks good to me." I answered.

"Good choice. It is the best I have as my personal collection. But you need to promise at least two years to pay for this completely. Only extra time from our already agreed one will be payable. Deal?" He asked.

"Deal." I replied.

"Okay then. Your main job is of cashier. But you will have to help the boys out when they need help." He said.

"Alright." I agreed.

"Come let me introduce you with everyone." Peter said going in. I simply followed with Mr Mason beside me.

"Boys, this is Anna. Our new cashier. She will help around the garage if we need. No one bullies her, no one flirts with her. Clear?" Mr Peter asked.

After a normal greeting, we went back to Mr Mason's place.

He drove his car as I followed him in my newly obtained car. Driving it gave a weird sense of satisfaction to me.

It felt like I've accomplished something big. It's just an old car, granted in good shape, yet old. I've driven most expensive of cars. Yet driving this makes me wanna dance with happiness.

I couldn't help the pleased smile that lit up my face. I'll have to work my ass off for it. But it already feels worth it.

So this is what the sense of accomplishment feels like. Not bad. I can get used to it.