Prologue

The wind whisked around me while I ran fast through the evergreen. I could see the blur outlines of trees as I heard the earth crunch below my feet. The earth seeming to move in slow motion as I sped past. My silver streams whipping in the wind behind me. I could feel the nipping of the wolves at my heals, urging me to run faster. 

I grin and then push myself further making them growl playfully trying to keep up with my speed. I continue farther into the dense forest listening to forest come to life. My green cloak dancing in the wind. My wolves suddenly telling me to stop... They heard something. My feet stop abruptly causing one young wolf to run into my legs. I close my eyes and listen intently. I then hear it... soft crying. 

I take gentle slow steps towards the sound. My feet snapping a branch making the whimpering stop. I look around and one my wolves nudge his snout towards a fallen trunk. I nod in understanding. I hold up my hand signalling them to stay put. I walk timidly towards the small figure behind the fallen tree. I see a small boy with his knees pulled to his chest with his head laying on his knees. He looks to be very young. Possibly only 4 years old. 

I begin softly singing gaining his attention. His head snaps up and I see bright blue eyes and golden hair. I continue singing gently while walking towards him. I sit down slowly beside him while he still gazes at me unsure. I look to his arm to see red marks from what looks to be a hand print. I slowly reach out my hand gesturing towards him to give me his hand. He looks hesitant for a moment. I give him a gentle smile which he exhales deeply and places his small hand in mine. I pull up his sleeve slightly and begin seeing an outline of hand print. I continue to appear unfazed but on the inside my rage is building. I close my eyes trying to reign in my emotions however my wolves begin coming closer as to check on me. They can feel my anger radiating off of me. 

One of the pups steps right up to the young boy. He looks scared towards me with wide eyes. I reach out and stroke the pup showing him there is nothing to be afraid of. He reaches out with his hand trembling until it meets the young wolf's fur. The pup purrs making the young boy smile. My lips turn up as I run my hand over the young boy's cheek. I tilt it up to look into his eyes. 

"M-My name is Navene." He stutters out shyly. I smile and nod once. 

"Artemis." 

He raises his brow and looks questionably. I tilt my head and realize his confusion is from my name. I repeat it again slowly. He attempts to repeat my name and after a few attempts, he gets it. I nod my head and he grins. I once again collect his hand tugging on it softly while pulling up his sleeve to inspect the bruises forming. I scrunch my eyebrows together and look towards the boy who now has tears swelling up. I immediately pull him into my embrace and feel him gently shake. I then hear the deafening sound of crying realizing he is breaking down on me. I continue to hold him and running my hand up and down his back in an attempt to soothe him. 

"It-It's not as ba-bad as it l-looks. He wa-was just up-upset." I nod my head but just continue to hold him. "I don't wa-want to go b-back." He sniffs out brokenly. 

"Don't". I whisper to him. He pulls back and looks into my eyes. His bright blue eyes look at me with hope. I give him a reassuring smile and then he looks towards the bigger wolves that are now sitting in a circle around us. He looks confused but my largest wolf walks up and gently places her head on his lap and then she licks his cheek making Navene giggle. 

I stand up and hold out my hand. He once again looks around and then turns his face in a certain direction. I'm sure towards his home. He then takes a deep breath and locks eyes with mine. I give him a firm nod while smiling. He reaches up and places his hand in mine. We begin walking in the direction I was heading. My wolves howling up towards the sky giving thanks for the young Navene. He comes closer to my side not sure what is going on. I hold both of his shoulders stopping him. He looks at me and I lean his forehead against mine. 

"Friends." I say gesturing towards the wolves. He looks around and repeats slowly. I nod my head. He looks back at me. 

"You don't talk a lot, do you?" He says continuing to walk beside me. I shake my head side to side. I begin humming as we continue moving.

"Trust me?" I say raising an eye brow of my own. Navene smiles and nods. 

"You'll have to tell me someday how you came to be friends with wolves, and about your hair." He says gesturing towards the long silver braid running down my back. I nod my head in understanding. 

"Another day." I say brushing my fingers through his hair. He gives me a gentle smile and once again nods. 

"So Artemis, where are we going?"

"On a adventure..." I trail off continuing through the heavy trees. The wolves continue to gather around us and I look up to the sky for guidance.