Chapter 51

"Artemis... please" 

The king raises his head at the sound of son's plea. Walking briskly without a glance behind her, the silver beauty goes to the stairs leaving Caspian to trail behind her. He watches as Navene stops the wolves from following the couple. Intrigued to find out what has happened, his feet walk over to the young man. 

Navene turns around hearing the steps behind him. Brushing Vatalanie one more time, he stands straight up before bowing to the king. Casden smiles down to the young man who remains to be a respectful. 

"Navene, should I wonder?"

Navene turns towards the directions of the stairs to hear the closing of a door. He sighs deeply turning back to the king. 

"We were attacked in the forest." At this the King goes rigid but Navene is quick to interject. "No one was hurt... well not physically." 

"Who-"

"Bounty hunters your majesty." Casden closes his eyes exhaling slowly. "But you and the prince already were aware of that." 

His eyes snap open while Navene looks to him blankly. He opens his mouth but nothing comes out. The young lad has a talent for reading people. Casden has come to realize this over the course of their stay. 

"You- You knew?"

"You and your son have a common characteristic... your eyes hold everything." 

Navene wanted to tell them they couldn't hide a secret worth a shit but figure against saying it to a royal. So he went with the more polite wording. The king's hands goes to his waist while he drops his head in embarrassment. He gives himself a minute before looking to the stairway where the young couple disappeared to. Navene turning his head in the same direction. 

"She knows?"

"She knows." 

"Love... please stop"

Artemis huffs throwing the chamber doors open fully aware that he was still following her. She goes to the far side of the room pacing while he closes the door locking it so they may not be disturbed. Tuning back around to see his wife practically fuming. He takes slow cautious steps to her. 

How long?

He sighs instantly knowing what she is asking. 

"Since the day of the doctor's execution."

She stops her pacing and drops her head. Artemis breathes deeply trying to control the anger she has bubbling inside her. Her hands forming into tight fist while she counts in her head. 

"You've lied to me Caspian"

Her words low and holding her suppressed anger... barely. Caspian goes to step to her but she yanks her arm backwards before he can make contact. Her eyes going to his with all the frustration she is feeling. He feels his heart crack at the hurt expression she is holding. His mouth opens but no words come out. 

"I-I just wanted to protect you." 

His voice hoarse feeling like sand has been dropped into his mouth. The look she is giving him utterly shattering him. 

You don't trust me

Caspian's eyes narrow at her. It wasn't a question, it was a statement. One he could not fathom to believe. 

"I trust you more than anyone"

His words getting low and defensive. Artemis' eyes narrowing at his tone but she will not back down.