Chapter 16

The next day comes to quickly for the prince's liking. He awakes to the sun warming his cheek as turns and is surprised when his hand brushes through fur. He smiles gently seeing Vatalanie laying in bed curled up. Her soft purrs can be heard from his touch. He gets up stretching awakening the she wolf. She gets up stretching before walking over to his door. He opens it a creak enough to let her out before closing the door heading to his cabinet to get out a fresh pair of trousers and top throwing them on. He gets his jacket on and throws on his boots before opening the door again. Yet again astonished to see Vatalanie standing guard at his door. He walks by and notices the wolf following. 

Good morning my prince

Caspian stops hearing her voice filter into his head. He looks around the corridor for her before closing his eyes and concentrating. 

Good morning my love, I seemed to have gained a companion

He begins walking again while waiting patiently for her reply. 

Vatalanie is my most trusted wolf. I wish for you to be safe... 

He smiled wide as he warms to her notion that she only wanted to protect him. 

Although I appreciate it, I don't feel it is necessary love. Where are you this morning?

Navene and I have some business to attend so we will be out today. 

Caspian stops in his tracks hearing that. His concern arising with the knowledge she is leaving. He just now notices that he is standing near his chair in the dining hall. His parent's giving him a concerned look while Cassandra nibbles away at the fresh fruit. He clears his throat and takes a seat while he continues his conversation with Artemis. 

Caspian, I can sense your worry from here... We will be okay.

May I ask when to expect your return?

Caspian begins making his plate not even paying attention to what he is throwing on it. The queen notices the furrow in his eyebrows and looks to her husband who is already glancing at his son. Caspian begins rubbing his temples waiting for her reply not even noticing the new arrival to the hall. 

Lena is all dolled up as she waltz in the hall making everyone look to her other than the one person she was hoping to impress. The queen doesn't mean to but her face falls at how much of the young princess' bosom is on display. How can she not realize how inappropriate she looks is quite astounding to the queen. The king this time wears the same expression as his wife. She walks over with an unnatural sway to her hips not even looking at the king or queen. Cassandra doesn't bother commenting as much as she wants to. She turns back to her food stabbing her strawberries. Lena sits down and eyes narrow as Caspian still is staring at an empty spot on the table. 

It will all depend my love... Do not fear, I will return to you before nightfall. 

Caspian sighs before taking a bite of his bread. 

Just please be cautious love. 

A clearing of a throat makes him blink a few times before he notices that Lena is now at the table. He glances around and can see his parent's questionable gazes. A weight on his legs makes him look down to see Vatalanie has placed her head upon his lap. He pets her and smiles seeing the she wolf that once wanted to bite him now pleading for his attention. 

"AAGGHHHHHH"

I high pitch scream makes Caspian look up to see Lena practically falling out of her seat. Her adviser racing over to help assist her. Her wide eyes glued upon the she wolf. Vatalanie narrows her gaze upon the painted princess.