Chapter 35

Word of the engagement spread like wildfire throughout the kingdom. With the villagers joyful, the king chose to hold a celebration to rejoice in the union. He invited kings and queens from other kingdoms as well as the people of his land. News of their union was not the only story that traveled throughout the lands. Lady Artemis' heroics deeds were the tales of the countryside. A hero with hair spun of silver. 

Not all took to well to the stories... For there is one who was seeking revenge for the death of his family. He was the only king to not receive an invitation to celebrate.... however why would he. He was, after all, the son of the king who attempted treason against King Casden. The brother to the princess who was beheaded for her assistance in the crime. 

Prince Vispan, or recent King Vispan, was rage induced receiving word from his spies of the union between this whore who will one day wear the crown that was meant for his sister and the man that turned away from her. He has never felt so much hatred towards any human before. Then the stories making her sound like some sort of warrior rather than the murderer she is. The stories ranged from her skill in combat to how she controls wolves. There is not a human in this world with that holds that kind of power. Sorcery had died out years ago so these must be just tall tales to ward off unwanted visitors. 

A woman who was supposed to be blessed by the moon goddess. Vispan scoffs at the notion... No one woman could hold such beauty. He has been shown to the masses and never has he been intrigued. Woman are their to serve... to carry heirs so kingdoms may continue to flourish. 

"Your Majesty?"

"Get the horses ready..." He twist his dagger between his fingers looking out his window. "We must do the honors of congratulating Prince Caspian and... Lady Artemis

The way her name slowly rolls off his tongue makes the adviser shiver before turning on his heel heading out the throne room.He feels the king is slowly going mad. Upon news of King Maximus' death... his beloved wife had a stroke. She did not survive. Days later learning that his younger sister was beheaded due to treason against King Casden and Queen Analee. He was thrusted quickly into the role of King. It was not that he wasn't becoming prepared to take over however he always foreseen his future with his parents still alive. 

He dressed in his dark black robes and made sure to have his father's sword on his side. The old man leaving it when he traveled to the Kingdom of Tralesse in a rush. He never expected that to be the last time he saw his father alive. Stories of the his father's death ranging to far to grasp what may have happened. He however plans to learn...

**********************************************

Queen Analee was in her room brushing Artemis hair as their wolves played behind them. The ladies giggling at the sight. They truly did act like a dog more than a terrifying beast. The beautiful maiden rolling her eyes at her family's antics while the expecting queen can't control her laughter. 

"They are quite the sight." The queen puts her brush down taking a final look at the intricate braid before turning to the wolves that now are looking at Artemis' hair. "How did you meet them?"

Artemis smiles spreads recalling the memory. "I rescued Vatalanie from a deadly injury caused by hunters. She was snappy at first but warmed to me... I learned of her being the leader when the entire pack came upon me snarling." 

"Oh dear!" 

"It is alright. Vatalanie growled at her pack... Standing up for me, an outsider." Artemis shakes her head standing up out of the chair turning to the pair of wolves. Her eyes glistening fondly at them. "She was my very first rescue." 

"Wow... That's quite a tale darling." Artemis just smiles softly nodding at the queen. "Do tell, how old were you?"

Artemis stiffens quickly and the queen takes note of her reaction. Artemis sighs twiddling her fingers before answering quietly.