Chapter 44

"Artemis, I am not sure we should be doing this..."

Navene continues to look behind him glancing at the castle. After their lunch, King Casden called for a meeting with his son and the head of the guards to speak about the security of the kingdom. Artemis has since then had a feeling settling in her chest. It was an unknown and different sensation. It felt as if someone needed help but something was wrong. She decided to leave hoping she could find the source of her discomfort. Navene choosing to accompany her along with Vatalanie and few other wolves. Tesara and Goliath choosing to remain at the castle with the young princess and queen. 

All will be well Navene...

She gets to the castle gates. Her cloak pulled up over her head however the wolves giving away to the guards whom she is. They look questionable to each other before Navene speaks up. 

"We have permission to come and go as we are needed." 

"But Princess Artemis is in need of guards if she is to leave the grounds. All royals have to be accompanied." 

Artemis head snaps up to the guards not aware of the change. Navene looks to Artemis in confusion until realization dawns on him. She is no longer just Lady, she is their princess. The royals they are all sworn to protect. Artemis closes her eyes hoping she is not interrupting her prince. 

Love, will you come speak to the guards. I must leave the kingdom. 

On my way Artemis

She relaxes and stands their for a minute. It does not take long for Caspian to come strolling out of the castle and finding her with the guards. He comes to stand beside her touching her lower back. 

"What seems to be the problem gentlemen?"

"Sire, all royals must be accompanied to permit leave from the grounds. Princess Artemis will need to be protected." 

Caspian nods his head listening to the guard explain the situation. His eyes turning to her cloaked figure. He can see her body is more tense than usual while her hand rubs the center of her chest. 

Something is wrong Caspian, I need to leave

He listens to her words and turns back to the guards. Giving a nod to them. 

"I'm accompany her. Now open the gates." 

Once again they look at each other but don't dare to question the prince. Going over the open the gates as they all stroll out. 

"Where to love?"

Artemis closes her eyes and expands her mind. The sounds of the forest filling her thoughts. The bristle of wind rattling the leaves of the trees. The foxes running in the bushels crunching falling branches under their paws. The cubs of bears playing near a water stream as the water splashes over them. The sound of birds chirping flying through the trees. Then she finds it, still not getting a clear vision as to what it is. Just the feeling directing her feet. Navene and Caspian keeping their eyes open wide following her. 

Artemis you must be cautious, I can sense the change in you

Artemis looks down to Vatalanie who is already looking to her. Her snout nodding towards her stomach. Her hand instinctively goes to it. She does not feel any different however trust Vatalanie's judgement. Caspian doesn't catch the movement but Navene's eyes train on it. His eyes going wide in realization. 

Artemis, are you-

Not now Navene

No further words are said as they continue trudging through the forest. No longer near any paths. This part of the forest is dense with green shrubbery. The trees cover the skies allowing in very little light. The evening dusk coming quickly. It is then she feels it grow strong. Her chest almost painful. She rubs at it and hisses while closing her eyes once again. Her mind expanding to hopefully find the source.