Chapter 48

"Mom?!"

"MOM!"

Caspian reaches to his ghostly white mother laying in the bed. Her eyes barely remaining open as he cups her cheeks. Her skin hot to the touch with beads of sweat on her forehead. Caspian can feel his nerves pulsating. Vivid images of this occurring the day of Cassandra's birth rushing to the forefront of his mind. He freezes while the memory floods his thoughts. 

The guards near the door hear the commotion running off for the king. Artemis however quickly reacts rushing to the bathroom to get water and clothes before coming back to the bed. Working fast to put the cold cloth to her head. Her body jolting at the cold liquid. Her eyes fluttering to Artemis with a look of desperation. Artemis feels her throat constrict at the pleading eyes of her queen. 

"GET THE DOCTOR NOW!"

The king bellows while racing to his queen's side. He pulls his son away before taking his spot. His eyes frantically looking to his ghostly wife. He holds her head in his palms as her eyes flutter open to him. 

"Love, I need you to stay awake. Don't you dare close your eyes on me!" 

"Cas-"

Her eyes close before she can finish and his blood runs cold. Artemis presses her fingers to her neck and feels the slight pulse but is weak. Without hesitation she begins pressing her hand to her chest. Her ears begin ringing with the familiar sound of a heartbeat. She focuses on it and allows her mind to exude her energy. 

The king finally turns to Artemis with tears running down his face. His hope lying within the silver goddess herself. Caspian gets jolted out of his own memories when a blood curling scream erupts near the door. He is quick to stop Cassandra who is running into the room to her ill mother. Caspian grabs her wrapping her up in his arm while she continues clawing and screaming for her mother. 

Navene comes in going to Artemis side. He then takes in the scene before him feeling a lump form in his chest. Walking over to Artemis side to assist in anyway he can. 

"Artemis, what do you need?"

Take the wolves out Navene... specifically Goliath

Goliath hearing her order growls at her. She continues focusing on the queen's heartbeat while Navene walks to the door. He whistles and all the wolves that have gathered follow him out. 

"Now Goliath" 

Goliath snarls before walking over to Navene. The young boy taking one final glance to his guardian before going out. Caspian continues holding his sister who is sobbing uncontrollably. The King continues standing at his queen's side while looking to Artemis. 

Sound coming from the door directs them to turn around. The doctor strolls in looking at the scene. He sees the silver hair maiden practically illuminating. He falters in his step momentarily before she snaps her eyes open showing pure white eyes. He walks over turning his gaze to the queen accessing her. He lifts the bed to find blood in between her legs. 

The king takes in the amount of blood and gulps down air as if his lungs couldn't gather any. Luckily Caspian and Cassandra are too far away to see this. Artemis continues focusing on keeping the queen alive but feels her throat close up on her momentarily seeing the blood. She shakes her head refocusing on her task at hand. 

"My King, there is nothing I can do... she has miscar-"

Artemis growls shoving the doctor out of the way. He stumbles before standing back up feeling furious by this insolent woman. He goes to touch her but the barrier comes up sending an electric shock through his hand. His body gets thrown back before he stands up glaring at her. Artemis doesn't bother looking to the man as the bubble engulfs her and the queen on the bed. She begins focusing all her energy on her hand. One pressed firmly against her chest while the other goes up the queen's gown.