Chapter 13

The king is sitting in his thrown room contemplating everything he has witnessed in the last few days. His mind racing with too many what if scenarios. His wife has been watching over their youngest along with Navene who has not left the young princess' side since the incident. Cassandra was more than happy to have a friend with her. The queen has grown very fond of Navene due to his protective nature for Cassandra. 

The princess arrives today and the maids have been scurrying about the castle to prepare for it. Caspian has been very distant from his duties and has practically glued himself to the young enchantress. He has been so concerned over the fear of Artemis disappearing in the night. The king has made the choice to let them be. Caspian will still have to accompany the princess of Darion out of respect for traditions. 

Then there was the enchantress herself and so many unanswered questions. He is worried for the threat his people may encounter due to her presence. How the people may react to her unique features and abilities. Most importantly... How will Caspian handle if she leaves. 

His thoughts are cut off as a soft knock sounds at his door. He gestures for the guard to open the door. Soon enough the door is opened and the king sits up straight seeing the hooded figure walk up to him graciously. She takes a bow and stands up straight allowing only her eyes to be seen. The king can't help but stare at them. She truly is a goddess in her own right. The way she carries herself and how she can bring a room to a halt. Her presence demands attention. 

"Lady Artemis" 

"Majesty" 

"What brings you to me this morning?"

Artemis rings her hands together concerned on how this conversation is going to go. The king notices her nervousness and waits patiently. 

"My king, I wish to speak to you in regards to my stay here." Artemis can feel her heart thrumming in her ears as the king does not comment back for some time. 

"Is it not to your liking?"

"No!" Artemis abruptly answers before taking a breath to calm her nerves. "I do not want to over stay our welcome and I understand you are to have guest arrive shortly."

The king realizes that not only has he upset his son but Artemis as well if her hands are any indication of how torn she is. He stands up and walks down slowly to Artemis. Artemis out of instinct takes a step back. The king sees this and decides against continuing forward. He holds out his hand requesting her to join him. She does so hesitantly before he walks her over to the window. 

"Artemis, I apologize for the awkwardness of this situation however I can not retract an invitation once it has been sent." 

"I understand your majesty. I do not wish to interfere however I am worried that my presence may cause just that." 

"Artemis..." The king sighs dropping her hand clasping his behind him. "You are a blessing, not a disturbance... Never believe otherwise." 

Artemis stops abruptly never being told this before. Her eyes going wide which the king notices as he sees her reaction. He waits for her to gather herself with a gently reassuring smile. 

"My king, you don't understand." Artemis drops her head and grips the window looking out. "Caspian has spoken of his intentions with me..."

She looks to the king but doesn't see any hint of surprise. She furrows her eyebrows as he chuckles lowly at her dumbfound expression. 

"Come sit with me Artemis. I feel we have much to discuss."

Artemis retakes the kings hand as he leads her to his study. Vatalanie following behind the pair silently. The king notices and gives a head nod to the wolf as a sign of acknowledgement. They make it to his study to see his door is slightly ajar. Artemis looks to the king who looks baffled by the cracked door. She realizes that he doesn't keep it open and gently places herself in front of him while drawing out her sword. The king sees the protective instinct and allows her to lead. She pushes the door open to see Caspian looking out the window.