Chapter 45

"What happened!"

King Casden states loudly running outside as Caspian slides down from Kaleo. His arms still securely holding a sleeping Artemis. The king turns to see the same silver dragon from last time landing beside the much larger dragon. He backs up hesitant about the dragon before seeing Navene sitting upon it. He turns his attention back to his son. 

"Where is Vatalanie?"

"The wolves were running back by foot. They should be here shortly. Make sure the guards are aware to let them in."

The king turns to give the command before Navene interjects. 

"I will go my king and stand at the gates for them." 

Casden nods to the young man who takes off to the castle doors. The king speaks to one of the nearby guards requesting he follow the young man to guard him. The guard bows before following the path Navene took. Casden then turns back to his son who is still holding a sleeping Artemis. Chuffles coming from behind them has the prince turn around. The dragon's lean forward to sniff the sleeping savior. The king and the guards watching on with anxiety. 

"Thank you Kaleo... Aneesa." 

Caspian bows his head  to the dragons. The dragons in return bow their heads to him. Taking one last glance at Artemis before they both press of the grounds taking off to get back home. Caspian turns around walking into the castle taking his beloved up to their chambers. Hard to believe it has only been a day since they wed and here she is again in trouble. He feels he may need to speak to her about this when she awakens this time. 

He gently places her on the bed while King Casden calls for the doctor. It does not take long for knocking to be heard at his doors. He opens them and gets knocked to the side in the process. All the wolves including Tesara and Goliath bundle through to lay on their bed. Each one placing their heads protectively on Artemis. Caspian stands by the door stunned by their protective instincts while Navene steps into the doorway. He goes over to sit down on the couch in front of their bed while Caspian takes slow steps back to the bed. All the wolves whimpering lowly. 

"What is wrong with the pack?"

Caspian voiced his thoughts not expecting to get an answer. Navene clears his throat before closing his eyes and going into meditation. 

"They are protecting their charge." 

He doesn't state further while Caspian just believes he is speaking of Artemis. It is not his business to speak of what he is not sure of. It has been less than a day since they consummated their vows. How is he to tell the crown prince that his wife is with child so soon. Normal doctors would not be able to tell for weeks... not hours. The wolves however can sense the change almost instantly. 

Another round of knocks pull Caspian to open the door. The time the doctor is standing their along with the king and queen. He lets them through before closing the door. The king and queen go to stand by the young lad still sitting on the couch. His head bowed with his eyes closed while he concentrates on Artemis' heartbeat. The doctor however was not expecting such a view. 

"OH HEAVENS!" 

He shrieks making all the wolves lift their heads to look at him. The doctor holds his chest while halting all movements. Caspian seems amused recalling his first time around the pack. It is not common for wolves to be such however he has learned nothing ever is when it comes to his beloved. 

The doctor clears his throat trying to control the shaking of his hands. He steps forward setting his bag on the desk near the bed before timidly walking forward all the wolves narrowing the eyes on the newcomer. Vatalanie does not like how he looks and lowly growls warning the man to not come further. The other wolves following their leader.