Chapter 39

The sound of trumpets ring throughout the kingdom. Everyone within walking distance hearing them, all emerge from their homes to look. It is now early morning and the memory of last time arriving back at the castle invades Artemis' thoughts. She shutters at the thought of Caspian, wondering if he is alright. 

She slows her horse to stop him from entering the gates. The King leading the men while chains are wrapped around their captive's neck and wrists. He was made to walk the journey. His chains being yanked whenever he would begin to voice his thoughts. Navene rhode in the back next to his guardian's side. 

Artemis, do tell what troubles you?

She turns to glance over her shoulder. Kaleo had decided to make sure no more harm came before leaving her. This included him following her back to the castle. He flew for some time before deciding to trudge the ground behind her. 

Past memories Kaleo... I am safe, please give my love to you mother and sister.

Kaleo bows his head taking this as his dismissal. His wings whipping to get him air born. Artemis takes a shaky breath before entering the gates. The crowd in full gathering around the arrival of their king and the guards with the prisoner. Their eyes looking to him before the sound of the gates lowering makes them turn to Artemis. A roar of claps and praises begins tumbling from the crowd. A warm feeling spreading throughout Artemis' heart for these people. 

She allows the horse to slowly move through the crowd as they raise their hands to praise her. She reaches down taking some of the hands making more come to gather around her. The king watches on proudly at the beautiful woman who is smiling to his people and treating them as equals. 

"Let me through!" 

The king turns around hearing his son's voice. He pushes through the guards to find his queen sitting upon the horse. The villagers surrounding her as if she was a god. He stops by his dad's side with tears in his eyes. His dad grips his shoulder momentarily. 

"My King?" 

He turns around to find his wife holding her palm to her mouth to stop from sobbing. He steps away from his son to gather his queen in his arms. Cassandra wrapping her arms around his leg hugging him tightly. 

Artemis looks up to find the king hugging his wife and the young princess. Her eyes drift down to lock with her beloved. She gets down from her horse still looking into his mesmerizing eyes. She begins slowly walking to him before she sees the tears in his eyes. Her legs move faster before she lunges into him. His arms locked around her as he criess against her. Her own eyes watering grateful to be back with him. His hands firmly locked on her back and her shoulders. His body shaking as he attempts to calm his emotions. His relief flooding his body. 

I love you Caspian

He chuckles refusing to release her. Her words dripping of honey in his mind. If it is possible, it only served in him tightening his hold on her. 

As I love you Artemis

He leans back just enough to look into the silver irises he has missed. Her face covered in a light film of dirt and sweat. She is still the most beautiful thing to Caspian. He grips her neck before locking his lips to hers. The spark in him turning into a roaring fire upon the contact. The crowds applauds and cheers breaking him apart from the moment. 

They turn their heads to see the entire crowd cheering for them making Artemis blush. She ducks her head in his chest and just now realizes she is still in her ballgown. Caspian chuckles at her shyness. 

"Welcome back our kingdom's hero- Lady Artemis!" 

The crowd roars again at the king's praise.  Artemis feels a body rubbing her dress. She looks down to see Vatalanie. She instantly drops to her knees wrapping her arms around the wolf who rubs his head against her.