Chapter 8

Artemis can barely stay awake as she looks to the bushes seeing Navene, Princess Cassandra and Prince Caspian emerge. A low growl emits from Kaleo seeing Caspian still holding his sword firmly. The prince stops in his track before slowly laying the sword on the ground. The beast stops growling but keeps his eyes trained on them. 

Are these your companions Artemis?

Kaleo asks gently which Artemis nods to answer. She feels her body slacking and continues to resist falling into the abyss. Kaleo brings her closer so she may lay against the heat of his neck that is now healed. Artemis sighs laying her head against him all the while Kaleo continues looking upon the new comers. 

"Artemis, are you well?" Caspian speaks keeping his eyes trained on her even with the beast in front of him. His mind is racing with worrisome thoughts for the goddess he has grown fond of. Artemis doesn't open her eyes but nods her head and hums. 

The wolves walk up and bow to the dragon in respect. Kaleo sees this and bows his head back to the pack recognizing their scent as the same from the young life he is holding. Vatalanie walks up and gently nudges her head against Artemis' legs. Artemis instinctively reaches down to pet her making the wolf purr. 

"Navene, can you speak to the beast?" 

A low warning growl comes across the dragon's lips from the word. Navene is quick to realize Caspian's mistake. 

"Prince, he is not a beast and does not like being called as such. He is a dragon... And no, Artemis is the only one who can speak to all species." 

Caspian nods his head thoughtfully and then takes one step to the dragon before bowing to a knee. The dragon watches for the moment and then leans forward to sniff the young man. He smells nothing like the young life he is currently holding. However, Kaleo can see the concern for the savior. He gently unwraps his tail from Artemis who instantly slacks against the dragon's neck. Kaleo then uses his tail to gently press the young princes' back towards the woman. 

Caspian begins moving to Artemis. Once he is in front of her, he cups her cheek lifting her face from the dragon's side. He sees that her eyes can barely stay open and swiftly picks up her up into his arms. Artemis coils into his chest and wraps her arms around his neck. Caspian hugs her tightly to his frame as he feels the familiar heat licking at the skin on his neck from contact. He steps back from the dragon whose eyes are still trained on the sleeping goddess. 

Princess Cassandra stands behind Navene still petrified of the beast but also an amazement of what all just occurred. She was aware of Artemis' special ability but to see how she handle the creature was nothing short of magical. She watches as the dragon allows her brother to come forth collecting the tired beauty. Her eyes trained on how her brother looks so concerned. In that moment she realizes that he has chosen his queen. Whether or not he knows it yet... She does. 

The dragon turns as Caspian steps to stand beside Navene and Cass. The dragon expands it's wings as much as the clearing would allow making Cass grasp onto Navene's arm. The dragon is quite the beauty but also terrifying. He huffs before lifting himself off the ground. He does a loud cry into the skies which wakes up Artemis momentarily. 

I will return Artemis, Thank you

Stay safe Kaleo

With that the dragon ascends the skies and disappears into the dark. Artemis head falls back as she no longer can stay away from the darkness. She used all she could to help the dragon and now needs to recuperate. 

Navene sees this and knows what this means. He curses out slowly realizing what he is about to do and how it won't settle well with Artemis once she awakens.