Chapter 2

"Caspian, Are we almost there?" 

"Soon Cass, Stop fidgeting!" I scold playfully towards my little sister. We went into town this morning for a special present for my mother's banquet this weekend. I had a few guards accompany us but didn't want my parents to know of this trip. I wanted it to be a surprise but then my sister found out as I was about to leave. I allowed her to come along... however now I regret that decision. She is truly delicate and knows no dangers of this world.  

She currently has her long pitch black hair weaved into a delicate braid around her head. Her soft fingers playing with the hem of one layers of her dress. She is truly a miracle sent to my parents. After having me, they were told my mother would not be able to carry again. They were upset however never gave up hope. Cassandra came along and my parents told me she was my angel to look after. That is how I viewed my sister from a young age. She huffs and crosses her arms giving me an adorable pout. I couldn't help but softly chuckle at. 

My train of thoughts come to abrupt halt when our carriage stops suddenly. I know we are still to far from the palace, I glance at the window but all I see is the dead bodies of my soldiers. I gently pull my sword out of it's sheath but our door is yanked open. Men start pulling on myself and my sister making her cry out. I try to remain calm however my blood boils seeing them treat her like this. She is crying my name so I gently tell her that everything will be okay even though I am not sure. They pull us off the trail and into the dense forest. My sister's whimpering the only sound I can register. They throw both of us to the ground in a small clearing. My sister jumps into my arms and I secure my arms around her letting her cry into my chest. I look around to see the men circling us looking at us grinning smugly. I am a good swordsmen however I know I can not protect my sister while disarming 6 men. I need to start forming a plan. 

"Well, well, well.. Is that Prince Caspian?" The man taunts in front of me. I look up and don't recognize the man coming closer to us. I gently push my sister behind me where she holds my cloak for dear life. 

"I don't think we have had the pleasure." I say with a level voice raising my chin up. 

"Oh trust me, we haven't met before regardless you won't ever forget me." He chuckles lowly. I pull Cassandra tighter to my back. His men begin laughing at my attempts to hide her. I narrow my eyes at them while they begin stepping closer to us. The leader raising his sword pointing at my throat. 

"Let them go, Dante."

I whip my head to see a small boy standing the clearing with blonde hair and a green cloak hanging from his shoulders. He isn't very tall however he holds his stance well. He doesn't seem to be more than Cassandra's age, maybe 12 at most. I abruptly turn my head back hearing the man holding the sword to my throat chuckling with a sinister grin.

"Oh, poor boy, what are you go to do about it?" The yellow teeth gleam as he begins stalking towards the boy who does not look the least bit fazed. I look around at the other men who are following the leader. I pull Cassandra tighter to my back as I take small steps back. I keep my eye trained on the men but also fear for the naive boy.

"Do you really want to test me Dante?" He asks raising a single eyebrow. For a minute the men stop their movements. I see their hesitation for fear... Fear of what? I take the moment to stick Cassandra behind a nearby tree. She crouches down while I pull my sword out from its place.

"How do you know my name?" The scoundrel raises his sword challenging towards the boy before taking a final step towards him. Then the unexpected happens. The young boy chuckles so darkly. It sounded almost... demonic. All the men instinctively raise their swords.

"Oh Dante, I didn't know your name... but you know someone dear to me."

"Spit it out boy!" The once grinning man is now looking around frantically. I continue my eyes scanning the small boy. He looks directly at me and gives me a small nod before saying one word that caused all hell to breaks loose.

"Artemis."  

I hear a whistling sound through the air before the leader drops to the ground on his back with an arrow in his head. Perfect shot. I look around but the snarling of wolves making me look back at the young man. The other 5 men begin swinging their swords around however once again I hear the whistling of an arrow in the air. Another man drops dead. I continue to be frozen in my spot until I see a cloaked figure drop from a tree. Other than the lady-like figure, I can't see anything about her. She begins softly humming and the wolves gather around the pair. They all seem to be following her lead. She continues to hum until one the men lunge for her making her draw out a sword from underneath her cloak. She quickly strikes him dropping him to the ground. The other men then jump into action and she whistles. All the wolves begin attacking the remaining men. I stand there watching with an erratic beating heart. She wields her sword better than anyone I have ever seen. After a few minutes all is silent. All six men... dead. 

The cloaked figure runs her blood covered blade along her cloak cleaning it before holstering her sword. The wolves all look to her and she leans down placing her hand to one particular wolf. I couldn't move, I couldn't breathe. She directs her head towards me but I still can't see her face. She nods once and then turns towards the small boy. She walks up to him and places her forehead to his. He grumbles out something before walking over to me. I instinctively hold the hilt of my sword tighter. The wolf that is walking along with him growls warning and I release my sword. The young boy stands in front of me. He glances back at the figure and she nods her head. He huffs and looks down before grumbling.  

"Would you like for us to accompany you back to your gates?"

I look back at the masked figure. Whomever she is, she is not coming closer making me wonder what she is hiding. I didn't know what they were wanting but I was grateful for their assistance a few minutes ago. I look back down but notice the young man is no longer standing there. I whip my head around seeing him reach his hand out to my sister. She takes it pulling herself up before running into my arms. I hold her tight as she shakes and whimpers clinging to me. I see the young boy looking towards his companion and see his facial features scrunch. I look back towards the cloak figure who begins walking away with the wolves following her. I notice one stays with the young lad. 

"What is your name?"

"Navene, sir." He says before walking back towards our carriage. I pick up my sister and follow behind him. I continue to look towards the wolf that is walking along with him. I have never seen a wolf be friendly towards us. It was very interesting see this interaction.

"That's not fair... but I can- fine!" He grumbles out crossing his arms. I look up noticing the cloaked lady stroking the horses. Upon getting closer I can hear her soft voice singly angelically to the horses seeming to calm them. "I will drive you both, you will be safe." 

I nod and push Cassandra's face into my neck not wanting her to see the bodies surrounding the carriage. I'm about to climb in when I stop and turn towards the cloaked figure. 

"Ma'm, would you like to ride inside with us?" She doesn't answer just turns around and begins walking with several wolves following. I continue to watch her walk farther away. I hear the young boy, Navene, chuckle and look up at him as his eyes stay trained on her. 

"She request you stop staring at her." My eyes go wide as saucers looking back at her and then back at him. 

"How did-"

"Sir, we need to get moving." He says abruptly cutting me off from questioning him. I walk into the carriage and continue holding Cassandra who has now calm down and tired herself out. I feel the carriage take off and some many thoughts begin racing through my mind. 

All belonging to certain cloaked woman.