Vol. 16

Picani is explaining what Bipolar Disorder is to Remus. How will the boy react?

The author would also like to apologize for the info-dump, he's a huge psychology nerd that is studying to be a psychologist and he got excited.

~~Present day ~~

"Where did we leave off?" Picani asked, "that's right, Mania and the Avatar state. Have you seen Avatar the Last Airbender yet?"

Remus nodded, "we... binged watched... The entire first book this week!"

"So you know what the Avatar state is?" Picani chuckled.

"Its when Aang gets all powerful and smashes all the firebenders ships!" Remus grinned, crushing a small, imaginary ship.

"Yep." Picani nodded, "that's a great example of mania."

"So my insanity episodes are really me going into the Avatar state!?" Remus gasped.

"Not quite." Picani laughed lightly as the boy deflated a bit, "but it's a state of mind fueled by adrenaline. When Aang went back to the air temple and found Monk Gyatso, he was in such a state of anger and grief that he triggered the Avatar state. Similarly, intense emotions that release adrenaline could trigger a manic episode. These episodes can vary in length from a couple minutes, to days, sometimes if the episode is less intense it can go on for months or even years because the person experiencing it doesn't realize what's happening. On the flip side, a depressive episode is when all that adrenaline crashes."

"Like how Aang got really tired after Katara got him out of the Avatar state!" Remus said.

"Exactly!" Picani smiled, "now, sometimes people with Bipolar Disorder can meditate and use other similar techniques to manages their symptoms and episodes. Like how, spoiler alert, Aang eventually does. But sometimes that's not enough and people have to take medication to help live comfortably."

Remus shrank back, "medication? Will I have to have that?"

Picani sighed softly, "I don't know at this point."

"I don't want it to mess with my head or anything." Remus crossed his arms.

"It won't do anything like that kiddo." Picani chuckled, "Medication works with your body to help supply all the hormones and chemicals it needs to function. If it's the right medicine and dose for you, the worst it would do is make you sleepy and maybe a little dizzy."

"Oh, that doesn't sound too bad." Remus mumbled.

Picani smiled, "it most certainly isn't kiddo."

"Am I... weird for having these disorders?" Remus asked.

"No," Picani shook his head, "more people than you think have Bipolar Disorder, including the author. You are not strange or weird because of these illnesses, just like someone who's lactose intolerant isn't strange or weird."

"Okay." Remus gave the therapist a small smile, "thanks Dr. Picani."

"No problem kiddo." Picani smiled, "would you be willing to continue with these sessions?"

Remus nodded, "yeah, I would like that."

"Okay kiddo." Picani smiled as he stood up, "I'll see you soon."