Vol. 20

The cave collapsed. Old ghosts have been made young again. Is this an old curse come to haunt them, or a blessing of new beginnings in their life?

~~Present day ~~

Virgil coughed, slowly getting to his hands and knees.

"Virge?" Remus croaked, lighting his flames and bathing the cave in an eerie green light.

"I-I'm okay." Virgil coughed, "dusty."

Remus nodded, "what happened?"

Virgil shrugged, wincing at the movement. One moment he was hovering with Roman, the next the ceiling was falling in them and Roman threw him-!

"Roman!" Virgil yelled at the wall of rocks that blocked the entrance, "Remy!"

There was a beat of silence.

"Virge!? Ree!?" Remus voice came through quietly.

"Is Roman there!?" Remus asked.

"He's not with you!?" They boys could hear the panic in Remy's voice.

Remus felt his breath hitch, "Go find Dads!"

"Y-yeah! Okay!" Remy yelled.

Remus whimpered, curling in on himself, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

"Its okay Ree." Virgil said softly, "it was an accident."

"But Roman could be hurt!" Remus gasped, holding his head, "You could have gotten hurt! We could be stuck here- we-we could die!"

"Ree, calm down, we'll be okay." Virgil told him.

"Its not okay!" Remus screamed, standing quickly.

"Ree-!"

"SHUT UP!" Remus shouted, "shut up, shut up, shut up!"

Virgil took a step back, his heart beating fast and hard. Remus sat down again, his flames going out as he clutched his head. Virgil tried to take a breath, every instinct telling him to run. He listened.

A wall of ice crept up behind him, separating the two boys. Virgil ran. He ran until he couldn't run anymore.

Virgil stopped panting heavily, not knowing where he was. He looked up and froze. Virgil was back in Deceit's castle.

He started backing up slowly, memories flooding his mind. The blood. The torture. The silence.

"Hello?"

Virgil whirled around. In front of him stood a boy about six years old. The boy was wearing a black shirt and cape way too big for him. He had scales covering the left side of his face and his left eye was a bright, golden-yellow.