Vol. 21

A new child appears! The question is, how and why?

~~Present day ~~

Patton and Logan were watching the fire, waiting for it to go down to coals to roast marshmallows. Fish was curled up on Logan's lap, the dogs chin resting on his shoulder.

"Dad!" Remy shouted, running up to the campsite.

"Hey kid- What happened!?" Patton jumped up, running over.

Remy was covered in dust and small cuts. He sobbed, falling into Patton's arms.

"C-cave in- Roman- don't know- R-ree and V-virge- stuck- I-I-" the boy stammered.

"Rem, calm down." Logan said, "stay here with Fish and we'll get them, okay?"

Remy nodded, curling up with Fish as his dad's ran off.

Patton gasped when he saw the cave. A wall of boulders and rocks blocked the entrance. A few rocks tumbled down the side. Then a few more.

Suddenly, the wall fell and Roman was laying in the rubble. He was shifted into dragon form, laying unconscious on the rocks.

"Roman!" Patton yelled, running up to the dragon.

Roman's white scales were smothered by dust and blood. Patton knelt by the dragons head.

"He's okay." Patton sighed.

Logan nodded, "let's find Remus and Virgil now."

Patton nodded, petting Roman's scales once more before standing and making his way further into the cave.

"D-d-dad?" Remus whimpered from the corner.

"Ree!" Patton gasped, running over and hugging his son.

"Are you okay?" Logan asked, running the boys back.

Remus sobbed into Patton's shoulder, "I-I was so scared, it's all my fault."

"Ree, it's okay." Patton whispered, "where's Virgil?"

Remus let out another sob, "I t-told h-him to s-shut up, I d-didn't mean it, u was just scared! H-he ran o-off, I'm so sorry!"

"Its okay," Logan said, "We'll find Virgil, come on."

Remus nodded, following his Dads. He melted a hole in the ice wall, letting them pass through. They walked for a while, then Virgil came running into Patton's arms.

"Virge!? Are you okay?" Patton asked, holding the shaking boy.

Virgil shook his head.

"Is... is it cause of me?" Remus asked quietly.

Virgil looked up and shook his head. Remus smiled, opening his arms for a hug. Virgil gladly accepted.

"Hello?"

Everyone turned to see a small boy standing just around the corner, hiding his left side.

"Um, hi there kiddo." Patton said, "what are you doing down here?"

Tears came to the boys eyes, "I-I don't know. I woke up a long time ago and there was blood a-and I was all alone-"

The boy started crying, showing his left side and his scales. Patton gasped softly and the boys tensed.

Logan took a cautious step forward, "what do you know?"

"M-my name?" The boy sniffed, "I think its... Deceit?"

Logan and Patton shared a look.

"Anything else kiddo?" Patton asked.

Deceit shook his head, "I-I'm scared. I don't wanna b-be alone no more."

Patton walked up to the boy and took his hand, "You can come with us, we can make sure you're not alone anymore."

"R-really?" Deceit sniffed, rubbing his cheeks.

Patton nodded, leading him back out. Remus and Virgil gave him a skeptical look.

"Are you sure Patt?" Logan asked.

Patton nodded, "if the kids don't want him around, we can put him in foster care and he can get adopted by someone else."

Logan sighed, "okay."

Patton lead them all out to the entrance, where Roman was still unconscious in Dragon form. Deceit screamed when he saw him, running behind Virgil and clinging on to the olders leg.

Virgil tensed, but relaxed slightly when he felt the boy shaking. Deceit was actually scared.

"Roman!" Remus screamed, running up to his twin.

Roman groaned, shifting back to human form. Deceit gasped, running up to Roman.

"That was so cool!" Deceit said, his eyes shining.

Roman froze, instantly recognizing the boys face, "w-what?"

"He doesn't remember anything." Patton said.

"Oh?" Roman nodded, "Well, I'm Roman."

Deceit giggled, "I'm Dee!"

"Dee?" Remus chuckled, "You said earlier that your name was Deceit."

Dee frowned, "that name makes me feel icky. I wanna be Dee."

Patton smiled softly, "alright then Dee, are you ready to go outside?"

Dee tilted his head, "what's Out Side?"

Roman smiled and took Deceit's hand and standing shakily, "well, let's go find out."