68: Man Up

68: Man Up

RYU

I watched my wife huddled up beside me. She’s sleeping soundly but I know there’s something worrying her even in her sleep. Her brows were furrowed and there were that tiny sounds of fear resonating on her throat. I pulled her beside me and started drawing circles on her back to soothe her.

She curled up even more, like she was finding comfort in me. She whimpered in her sleep so I started planting kisses on her forehead. Her whimpers gradually decreased before her breathing evened out. Bumangon ako sa kama at tiningnan ang mga maletang nasa gilid. 

Kadarating lamang namin sa bahay. Our two-day trip was cut short-- due to some reasons she only knew. I had a bad feeling about this. I know there’s something bothering her and if she refused to tell me whatever, guess I’ll have to find it on my own.

I opened my computer and stretched my fingers. It’s been so long since I’ve been in some serious works. Come to think of it, she’s been asking me to help her deal with her Uncle Flavio. To be honest, I do not find the man worth the trust too. Hitsura pa lamang, hindi na mapagkakatiwalaan (Titless’s words, not mine). He really looks like he’s been keeping a lot on his sleeves.

Hindi ko na maalala kung gaano na ako katagal sa ginagawa but I have not gotten any progress. I shook my head and massaged my neck. This is harder than I thought. Man is really careful in everything. If he keep most of things away where I could find a way to take a look, closer approach would be the perfect thing to do in this situation.

I fished my phone from my pocket and dialed a number. I waited for a while before someone answered it.

“Trip’s done?” bati nito mula sa kabilang linya.

I ignored his greeting, thinking it must be Mnemosyne who told him about it. “Poseidon, I need your help.”

“Sorry, reaper Poseidon is on leave at the moment,” sagot niya. Poseidon is one of my most trusted men. He devoted his life serving the Vanders and his loyalty is never questionable. He is literally someone who could do things done with minimal chances of failure.

I smirked to myself and try to make myself calm and not desperate as I am actually. “This is a personal request Red, please.”Alam niyang kapag tinatawag ko siya sa totoo niyang pangalan ay desperado ako. Damn, and yet I wanted not to sound desperate as I am.

Napabuntong-hininga siya. “Alright, on it.”

Thank goodness!

“Thank you,” sagot ko sa kanya. “I’ll send the data in your email. And please, do not let everyone know about this.”

“As you wish,” sagot niya bago ibinaba ang tawag.

Napasandal ako at napabuntong-hininga. Poseidon has lend me a hand but I cannot sit still and wait. I have to find things on my own. My thoughts were cut off by the door bell. Mabilis akong tumayo at bumaba para hindi magising ang asawa ko.