Chapter 4

I stared at my older brother with pure fear for him, and for me. He just joined the Coyotes. It's a small but mighty gang living near us. His girlfriend is in that gang, which is why he's joining. One of the conditions is the tattoo. Their tattoo is a fake scratch mark down the bicep. Three "bloody" scratches to look like an actual coyote scraped his arm. The second condition is me. As soon as I turn 18 I have to join the gang. To assure that I do, they are taking a bent piece of metal in the shape of a 'C', putting it in fire until its fuming, then they'll press it to the back of my neck. I'm being branded.

"You do not have to do this, Peter. If I'm joining a gang it's gonna be Sodapop's, you know that," I whined.

He glared at me harshly, "that ain't even a real gang. You're doing this with me, and if you back out, not only will they beat the crap out of me, but they may or may not hire a hitman for the both of us."

"See what kind of people they are?" I caught up to him as he walked down the short hall to his bedroom.

He picked up his leather jacket that he's had since he was about 15, put it on and looked at me once more, "they aren't sissies like your bandas."

"I'm 16, Pete. I know I'm not in the White Blades yet but they're like my family and I can't ditch them for your Coyotes. Call Marty right now and tell her you can't do it," I was now begging him. I trudged behind him with my hands clasped to his wrist.

"Basta Basta, Elle!" My brother snapped at me, tearing his own arm away and sending me stumbling back a little bit. We stared at each other for a long moment, "just take one for the team, will you?"

Peter ran his hand through his dark blonde hair and sighed, but his eyes stayed looking meaner than hell. I tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear and nodded my head, "okay." I can't believe I'm committing to this.

-

"Elle," my door was practically off its hinges when it slammed open, also denting my wall, "you're joining the coyotes?!"

"I had no choice," I stood up and shook my head, "Peter is my brother, and if I didn't do this they'd hurt him and possibly me too."

My boyfriend was fuming. Smoke was basically spewing from his nose and ears. "now we really can't tell anyone we're dating, Elle. Not only are the Coyotes dangerous people, but they don't let their members date around other bandas," he stepped closer to me and grabbed my chin so I would look at him, "this isn't a game, Elle."

"I didn't think it was, Soda, get off," I pushed him away from me, "I hate them just as much as the rest of the east side does but it's too late already. I did it this morning." I turned around and lifted my hair to show him the severely burned and blistered 'C' on my neck. It'll scar that way. My brother did his behind his ear a couple years ago and you can still see it clear as day.

"Son of a bitch, Elle," Soda stepped away from me and leaned against my door frame, "if you don't find a way out of this before you turn 18, we're done. I can't date a Coyote."

I stared at him for a long moment, contemplating on whether to get sad or mad. For as long as I was staring at him, our eyes never locked. He was staring at my wall to avoid eye contact.

"So what, Soda?" I walked towards him with my hands on my hips. "Look at me!" I grabbed his chin and moved his face to look at mine.

He slapped my hand away and huffed, "I gotta go, Elle. Figure this Coyote thing out soon or I'm telling the rest of my gang. You know, the people who you're actually friends with."

I swung my bedroom door open, "go," he didn't move. All he did was stare silently, "I said go, Sodapop Patrick!" I shoved him out of my bedroom and slammed my door closed, leaving it up to him to leave my house.

-

I knew my brother had some friends over, so I was out with some friends from the Brumly Boys for a while. When Benny and Barry Brumly let me off on my street, I already knew I was gonna hate being home. I jogged towards my house, and when I turned the doorknob to open the door, it swung open. A tall greaser was laughing loudly with a bong in his hand, walking backward out of the door.

The greaser, probably a Coyote, turned around and blew smoke into the air. I coughed at the treacherous smell and backed up.

"This our pup?" The man reached his hand out but I dodged his hand when he grazed my face with his fingertips. "Lemme see your mark."

"Don't touch me," I snapped and tried shoving past him. He put his hand in front of me and pushed me back.

"Look," he shook his head, "you need a reality check."

"Apparently you do too, asshole," I crossed my arms and stepped backward, "will you let me inside my own house?"

The Coyote set his bong down and chuckled, "I see why Peter wanted you to join so damn bad," he stepped towards me, "we need a big mouth like you to get our girls in check."

"Huh?" I moved past him and stormed inside, "Peter, my bedroom now," I pointed down the hallway but my older brother just laughed at me.

"Hey, Elle," he put his mouth up to a wooden bong and huffed it up, "go play in your room or something."

I got angry and blew up, "you told me I was being forced by them to join the Coyotes!"

Pete looked at me and slowly stood up, "alright let's talk in your room."

I hit his chest and got even madder, "you little shit you're the one forcing me into this!"

"Dai, Elle!" Peter put his hand over my mouth and walked with me until we were in my bedroom, "stai cercando di farmi uccidere?"

"Oh per favore," I threw my arms up and laughed, "I don't think you really give even a quarter shits about what you're doing by making me join your gang." I shook my head and interrupted when he tried speaking. "con quali vantaggi?"

"If you joined," he pulled me closer so he could talk quieter, "less would be on our la spalle. Come on, two gangs in the same family? Plus them White Blades ain't even got shit on the rest of us."

"You're high, get the hell out of my room," I shoved him towards the door and his back hit the doorframe. He wasn't moving fast enough so I ran into the living room in a fit of rage still. "Aiutare."

"And why should we help you?" One of the greasers sitting on my couch put another match to the bong.

I walked towards him, "I don't know," I thought for a second then grinned, "but you know."

"You gotta pay y'know, doll," he leaned back and chuckled.

We locked eye contact for a while, then I smiled sweetly and sat next to him. I ran my hand on his leg and put my lips close to his ear, "I'm not too innocent."

"Elle, Dai," Peter finally came into the living room. I glanced at him, shook my head and put my lips so they grazed the guy's ear when I talked.

"Think about this..."