Chapter 27

The party was going great. Some Manpatts showed the Brumlys, White Blades, and everything was running smoothly. Miles was shadowing almost everywhere I walked. Soda and I had yet to speak to each other which with how our conversations have been running, I don't really mind it.

The door swung open and nearly all heads turned to see who was barging in. With just our luck, it was some Key Men. Not looking to party either.

I saw Wiley and Camilo run in my direction from across the room, and as soon as they got to me I was shoved down the hallway. "What the hell?" I gasped.

"They want you, Elle. You gotta get out of here," they turned me down the hall but when Wiley opened the door we saw there was no exit. They had two guys at every window and door in the house.

"Let go of me then!" I struggled from their arms, "this is my gang, guys. This is my fight." I turned back down the hallway, and the crowd parted like the seven seas for me. I stopped in front of the crowd of Key Men with my hands on my hips. "I must've sent the invite to the wrong address, " I smirked.

Jeffrey D'Lano shoved to the front. This is rare. He's old, and he doesn't leave Key Men headquarters for just anything. "There she is, " D'Lano smirked. "vieni a casa, bambina."

"Over my dead body, " I growled, "you don't scare me, Jeffery." Laughs came staggered from the Key Men.

Jeffery reached out for my wrist but I scoffed and jolted away. "I'm 16, man. Get a life."

"You belong with Key Men," he said sternly.

I grinned, "look around, man. Why join your gang when here I can lead this gang."

"You're a bambina."

"Yet you're begging for me," I walked closer to him, "what are you gonna do, Jeffery?"

"La puttana," he grabbed both my wrists but I just brought my knee up and kneed him in the gut. "Puh!" He scowled put out his hand up so the other members of his gang wouldn't charge me.

"You can stay for the party, but we ain't looking to fight." I grinned knowing it'd piss him off even more that I'm being civil.

"Come with us, Bovino," Jeffery demanded.

I scoffed, "I ain't leaving."

"If you care at all about keeping Peter alive, you'll come with us."

I laughed out loud, "Peter is in jail."

Jeffrey reached into his pocket and pulled out an envelope. I grabbed it and opened it and a pile of pictures slid into my hands. Photographs of Peter. I gasped at the sight of him. The blood around him, the inmates posed around him. I glanced at Jeffery and gulped.

"I don't care about these." I stopped looking through them. "I..."

"She's about to faint, catch her!" I heard Soda shout from a couple yards away. The room spun around me and yes, I fainted.

-

I woke up to a crowd of Coyotes around me as well as some of my friends from the other gangs. The Key Men were gone.

"Where did they go?" I sat up slowly and rubbed my head. "I need to see Peter."

"A fight broke out after you fainted," Sodapop muttered sitting next to me. I glanced at them all and indeed, they had bruised eyes and cut lips. All of them. I'm guessing the Key Men fled.

I stood up, "I need to see him."

"You're not going anywhere," Wiley pulled at my wrist.

"They're hurting him in there!" I tore my hand away and went for the door. "I have to tell Steve."

"I'm right here, Elle." Steve approached me.

I shook my head, "not you, Steve! Steve! The guy at the jail," I opened the door but I was just pulled back inside.

"He raped you, Elle. Sit down." Darry grabbed me by the shoulders. "You can't see him."

I struggled away from his grip and backed away from them all, "he's my brother, and they're gonna kill him!"

"He's already dying, Elle," Miles stood up. "We didn't want to tell you... He's getting the chair."

I felt my whole world come crashing down. "No..."

"At the end of this year." Wiley walked towards me. "It's all over the papers."

"Well," I swallowed my tears. I can't cry in front of them. "I need to see my dad then."

"Elle it's over," Sodapop moved hair from my face. "I thought this is what you wanted."

I looked at Sodapop and tears welled in my eyes, "he's my brother. He can go to hell for what he did to me but," I glanced around and all eyes were on me. "But he's my brother."

Soda welcomed me into his arms. I felt weak. A couple of bloody pictures of my brother and I lost my cool. I sunk myself into Soda and wrapped my arms around his neck. I sobbed. The room was quiet, silent actually. All except for my sobs.

"I could kill Jeffery," I muttered through the sobs. "Take me home."

Sodapop leaned me forward and wiped my cheeks with the pads of his thumbs, "let's go." He led me out the door.

-

I think I fell asleep in the car, but either way, I woke up in the arms of Sodapop Patrick. We were in my bed. The covers weren't over us so I grabbed my blanket from the floor and brought it over our bodies as I moved closer to him. This is what I miss.

I stayed up for quite a long time thinking. I need to get my damn life in check, and man, I just don't know-how. Sodapop you know, he's my first boyfriend. But he doesn't seem to want me anymore unless it's times like this where I really need him. The gang finding out about us just generally worsened my life. None of this would have happened if the dang White Blades weren't so nosy.

The more I thought, the more upset I got. I thought about things Peter said to me before I passed out. I'm just a girl here to please men and make a man's life easier. I don't really matter and when it comes to my authority, there really is none. But I'm now the leader of the Coyotes, which shouldn't have happened in the first place. I mean come on, I'm a girl. This is Oklahoma, not Hollywood. Girls don't go out and lead like we see on the news and stuff. Especially not a dangerous gang like the Coyotes.

With that, they aren't all they're cracked up to be. The boys are decent. Yes, they are all scary sometimes but they seem to respect who I am to them which was what I was most scared of when we started this whole thing. After all the first couple of times, they met me weren't the best. The girls in the gang all seem to hate my guts. I mean I would too. If I were in my 20s and a 16-year-old girl came in and started getting the guys of the group to actually pipe up, of course, I'd be pissed. But ever since I kicked Miles ex out I've gotten not one dirty look. They're scared now.

Another rising issue, I'm on high demand! I see guys staring at me as soon as I step out of the house. If I'm not with my Coyotes somewhere I always get someone asking me to join their gang. It's not my fame though, its Peters. He did this to me. I'm only known as the girl who took over her brother's gang after he raped her. Nothing else. Which sucks. So do I see this as a good thing? Absolutely not. I want to go unnoticed outside my gang.