Chapter 14

A couple weeks later

-

Elle's POV

-

I walked into Sodapop's house, "saluti," I looked around to make sure Steve wasn't there. I kissed Soda and wrapped my arms around his neck. "Sono una ragazza arrapata, mi aiuti per favore."

"How many times do I have to tell you, Darlin', I can't understand that."

"Capisci questo?" I pulled my body closer to his and kissed his lips even longer.

"She's saying she wants to have sex, Soda. I can't understand her either and even I know what she wants," Two-bit sipped on a beer.

I giggled against Sodapop's lips and glanced at Two-bit, "hey Sodapop just isn't so bright," I bit my lip and ran my thumb over Soda's jaw.

"Not in front of them, Elle," Soda hugged my waist and kissed my lips. "We'd have to kick Pony out of our room anyway."

"You're saying no to sex, buddy," Steve walked through the door, "that's unheard of."

I quickly grew uncomfortable with Steve now in the room. Soda loosened his grip around my waist and I brought my arms down from his neck.

"Hi Stevie," I waved my fingers at him.

Steve glanced at me, "hey," he sat next to Johnny on the couch and took the tv remote from Two-bit.

I can't think of a time me and Steve had said more than hi and bye outside of yelling at each other ever since he found out about me and Soda. It's just kind of awkward. He isn't mad about me and Sodapop anymore, but there is still that tension. Soda told me that when I'm not around, he and Steve are back to normal, but since Steve really liked me he hasn't gotten over it.

Steve was now chatting with Two-bit, me and Sodapop were still standing, and I couldn't get my mind off of Steve. I glanced at him, then Sodapop, then back at him.

"Go talk to him if it annoys you that much," Soda muttered in my ear.

I glanced up at Soda, "I won't be in the mood then," I wanted to kiss him but I refrained, "discorsi seri non mi eccitano."

"I already told you it ain't happenin' right now, doll. Pony is in the bedroom," he whispered and fully let go of me, "go talk to Steve."

I rolled my eyes and walked towards Steve and Two-bit. I sat on the coffee table in front of them, and when Two-bit tried standing up to leave me and Steve alone, Steve grabbed his wrist and held him there with us.

"Keith!" Sodapop called from the kitchen. Two-bit quickly stood up and hurried in that direction, thankful for an escape. Johnny also stood up and went into the kitchen since he was on the couch as well. Steve was staring at the tv, so I grabbed the remote and turned it off. He then just stared at the blank tv screen.

"Stevie," I waved in front of his face, "you know we can't keep this up."

"I don't know what you mean," he shrugged and stood up, ready to walk away.

I grabbed his hand and tugged on it, "sit down, come on we need to talk." Steve stared at our hands for a moment then sat down. "You're one of my best friends but you barely said a word to me since you found out about me and Sodapop."

"I know..." He sighed and ran his hand through his jet black hair, "your brother killed someone in front of me. I don't know, I kind of wish I hadn't gone into that house with Soda.

"What does that have to do with talking to me?" I tilted his face to where he was actually looking at me, "that's my brother. Not me."

"He is head Coyote now, Elle. He is the leader of one of the most dangerous gangs in this neighborhood, he killed someone, and me and Soda were apart of the cover-up process. He killed someone for you."

"You're scared of being in my life?" I frowned, "I'm not a Coyote, Steve."

"Come on... Right now, a whole lot of people know what went down in that house. They know that Luther Sebastian was beating you, they know that your brother killed him. You are on solid ground right now, Elle. No one in their right mind is gonna even talk to you the wrong way. I'm not scared of being in your life, Elle. I'm scared of your brother. No one scares Dal and I never seen him run from this house quicker."

I began thinking, "Hey, where is Dal anyway?"

"Skipped town," Steve leaned back, "after Peter showed up here with a gun, he fled town. We haven't talked to him since then but I give it a couple months until we see him again."

I sighed and nodded my head, "see Stevie..." I moved next to him on the couch, "I like talking to you."

"You're dating, Sodapop. I'm sorry, Elle but I don't know how I'm gonna get over that. I mean, I should have known that you were with someone like him, but I don't know I kept trying. And you kept lying," he pat my leg then stood up, "there is a difference in what you and Sodapop did. He kept your secret while you made lies to keep your secret. If you didn't like me you should have just told me."

I stood up as well, "excuse me, I did tell you!"

Steve rolled his eyes, "you told me by telling me that you had a random boyfriend. You didn't have to say you were with anyone at all but you did."

"I'm sorry I lied, Steve, come on," I grabbed his wrist, "you're really important to me."

"What's that saying...?" He tore his hand away, "Piove sul bagnato..."

"That's not how you'd use that," I let him walk away, then I looked at Soda, "contento?!"

"Babe..." Soda walked towards me and grabbed me by the shoulders, "things will turn out fine."

"Steve hates me. He's scared to be friends with me and he hates me," I took my jacket off and tossed it to the floor, "I'm tired, Soda. Tired of just everything."

"Be patient," he grabbed my hand and tugged me to his bedroom.

I got frustrated, "sembra che tu non capisca, Sodapop!" I paced myself around the room, "io e Steve eravamo vicini, e adesso non mi parla nemmeno!"

"English, Elle!" Soda raised his voice as well.

I walked towards him, "non dirmi di parlare inglese. Parlerò inglese quando voglio parlare inglese. Non deciderai per me!"

"I don't know what you expected when you chose to date an Italian," Pony laughed as he sat at his desk doing his homework. "If I were you I'd try to learn the language, man."

"Stay out of it, Pony," Soda rolled his eyes and sat on his bed, "Elle, Steve is fine."

"Questo è ciò che non volevo succedere," I shook my head, "la tua banda ha scoperto di noi e ora mi tratti in modo diverso."

"What about my gang?" Soda understood a fraction of that statement and stood up, "if you're gonna insult us say it in English, Elle."

"Sto uscendo con un idiota," I glared at Sodapop.

Ponyboy realized what I said and stood up, "you'd really say something like that to your boyfriend? Go home, Elle."

"Get out, Ponyboy," I grabbed his stuff and shoved it into his arms.

"Elle, I am sorry that Steve won't talk to you, but I can't do anything about that. I tell him the same thing. That he needs to get over it and talk to you but he won't listen. Don't be yelling at me for this."

"Oh mio Dio," I shook my head and collapsed myself onto Soda's bed. "What am I gonna do?"

"Stop yelling at me in another language that's what you're gonna do," Soda laid back next to me.