Chapter 17

I didn't know what was happening, all I know is one moment I was walking down the street to my house and the next I was smuggled into the back seat of a worn down Chevy. A hand was placed over my mouth, but when I looked up to see the faces I calmed down because it was just some of the Brumly's picking on me again. They all busted out laughing and I shoved them all away from me.

"God! You guys scared me half to death!" I was sitting on one of their laps panting heavily in the crowded back seat.

"Were you crying?" Nate Brumly tilted my face towards him but I hit his hand away.

"Man, we didn't mean to scare you that hard," the driver, Yulo Sanders chuckled.

I rolled my eyes, "me and Sodapop are going through it..." I avoided eye contact and glanced out the window, "I think we're coming to an end."

"Gentlemen! Bovino is back on the market!" Benny laughed.

"Shut up," I hit his shoulder and moved off his lap, onto Kurt's lap. "We didn't break up I said we're going through it right now."

Yulo pulled up to the Brumly house and we all piled out. The boys rushed me inside and next thing I knew I was tackled to the floor with at least six boys piled on top of me.

"Get off!" I shriked and rolled around, "I hate you guys!"

"Awe, come on Elle, you know you love us," Schneider Brumly, the eldest and cutest of the brothers, also the gang leader, walked down the hallway to greet us.

I struggled to get up but eventually I did. I fixed my clothes and tucked my hair behind my ear, "you guys are the worst."

Schneider looked me up and down but then glanced away, "the boys didn't give you too big of a scare, did they?"

I sat on the coffee table and stared up at him, "I thought I was being kidnapped."

Schneider huffed and glared at the rest of them, "well I told them not to scare you this time." He sat on the couch and shooed the others away from him.

"Looks like Scneid has a little crush on Elle," Benny laughed at his older brother.

Schneider threw an empty beer can across the room, hitting Benny on the head. I glanced at Schneider and smiled softly at him. He avoided eye contact with me and grumbled under his breath.

"I don't have a crush on Bovino."

"Her and Sodapop broke up, Schneider," Nate nudged his older brother.

"I- we didn't-" I began to speak but the boys cut me off.

"She told us in the car," Kurt ruffled Schneider's hair.

"I'm not-"

Schneider stood up and gulped, "I didn't know you are single."

"I'm not," I stood up as well, "Me and Sodapop are fighting, we didn't break up."

"Oh," Schneider rubbed the back of his neck, "Yeah they're crazy anyway. I don't have eyes for you."

I nodded my head slowly and felt very awkward. I then sat on the couch, "put on a movie!" I said to break the tension filled room.

Schneider sat next to me and the boys crowded around us on the small couch. Yulo put a movie in and came to sit down, but there was no room. He smirked at me and Schneider quickly shook his head, "shut it, Yulo. She has a boyfriend."

"Elle, do you mind sitting on Schneider's lap so I can have a seat?" Yulo grinned at me so I rolled my eyes.

I stood up and moved myself to the floor so Yulo could have my spot. Schneider then stood up, "you can sit there. You shouldn't have to sit on the floor."

"I'm fine, Schneid. Sit down."

"Get up, Elle. I'm giving you my seat," he offered a hand up for me but I refused.

Schneider then lifted me off the floor and threw me over his shoulder. I screamed and held on for dear life. He then set me on my feet and nudged me towards the couch. I held onto him so he wouldn't be able to force me into his seat. He tried prying me from his torso but I clinged on and the boys whined because we were in the way of the tv.

"Just sit on his lap, Elle!" Norman yelled at me.

My cheeks turned red and I let go of Schneider. He stepped away from me and stuffed his hands into his pockets. I sat on the ground again, and Schneider sat next to me. A compromise.

"I'm sorry about them," he mumbled, "I'll be yelling at them later."

"No... It's fine," I looked slightly up at him and leaned my head on his shoulder, looked at the tv and stayed quiet for the rest of the movie.

-

I guess I had fallen asleep pretty quick, and stayed asleep for a long time because by the time I woke up, me and Schneider were now laying on the couch, he was awake though and I was sprawled across his body with my head on his chest. Their dad was also home and his three younger brothers were sitting at the dining table eating dinner with their dad. Everyone else left.

Schneider's arms were laced around my waist. I looked up at him and he was staring down at me, "it's late, Elle."

"How long was I sleeping?" I yawned and sat up.

He looked at the time, "a couple hours. You're a heavy sleeper."

"Can you take me home?" I fixed my hair and glanced at the three younger boys. Schneider nodded his head and walked towards the door with me. We went out to his car.

I opened the passenger door, but didn't get in because I saw Sodapop standing at the end of the driveway. He turned around so I waved bye to Schneider and ran towards Sodapop as he began walking away.

"Soda, don't go," I grabbed his wrist.

He huffed, "I'm tired of you cheating on me, Elle."

"Don't assume that just because I was with the Brumly's that I cheated on you. I fell asleep there, that's all now please, talk to me."

"I knew you'd be with the Brumly's," he kept walking and didn't make eye contact with me.

I rolled my eyes, "I was walking home and they mauled me into their car, brought me here and I ended up falling asleep. Schneider was just about to take me home since I just woke."

Sodapop turned towards me, "I don't want to do this, Elle. I don't want to feel like you don't love me as much as you used to. We used to be something amazing, Elle. Now I think I'm starting to despise you." He ran his hands through his hair, "I'm taking you home, but as soon as I drop you off," he wiped his hands over his face because he began to cry, "were done, Elle."

"No..." I grabbed his hand but he tore it away and shook my head, "Soda please I can fix this."

"Shut up, Elle. I'm tired of waiting on you to fix yourself. I want to be happy too. I want a girlfriend that can be with me and me only."

"I can!" I followed him down the street, "Don't leave me, babe, please."

Soda turned the corner so I ran to catch up with him, "I can't be happy when you're always fighting with me! I go through too much arguing with my brothers so I don't need it with you too!" He hit his fist against a lamppost as we passed it. It rattled and he took a deep breath. "I'm breaking up with you, Elle. I don't know how else to say it but Im fucking done with you."

Me and Sodapop walked the rest of the way in silence. Tears stayed welled in my eyes, giving me a burning sensation. Sodapop left me at the corner of my block then left. I ran into my house and slammed the door closed. My mom was actually inside for once. So was Peter. I wiped my eyes and took a deep breath.

"Me and Sodapop broke up," I managed to slip out before I broke down. Peter caught me from falling onto the couch, held me in his arms and sat down with me. My mom watched from afar.