Chapter 37

10 years later, August 1985

-

Elle's POV

-

Spencer and Patrick came down the hall fighting about who knows what so I groaned, "enough of this! I'm gonna send you to your dad's, Spence if you don't stop fighting with Patrick."

"How come Patrick never gets threatened to be sent there?" My teenager rolled his eyes at me and sat on the couch. "You always wanna get rid of me. Both you and dad do." He referred to Wiley this time.

"That's no why and you know it, Spencer. We love you boys both so much no matter whosoever kid you are. But Spencer, Sodapop isn't Patrick's dad. We can't just send him over there when your dad doesn't offer to take him." Patrick had already gone back to his room.

Spencer didn't make eye contact, "then why do I have to share dad with him? Patrick doesn't need to come to dad's when I go and he's just in the way all the time. I liked it better when he wasn't born."

"Don't say that, Spencer!" I snapped at him. "He is still your little brother. You don't always get along but I need you to start trying. Wiley does a good job at treating you both like equal sons, and I'm not always there for when Sodapop is with you guys but I can try to talk to him about it."

"Please don't say something to dad," he stood up. "This is why I don't talk to you, mom." He walked away and went into his bedroom. I stood up to follow him but the door slammed and the fighting began again between them.

I walked to the dining table with glossy eyes. I've been trying to reach through to Spencer but it's been hard since he's at that age where he just hates his mother. He only wants to be with Sodapop now, but Patrick always wants to go too so we have to let him. He loves them like they're both his dads just like Spencer does.

I blinked tears away and took a deep breath. I laid my hands flat on the table and watched them shake out of frustration so I grasped my hands together and closed my eyes as I silently cried. Motherhood was fairly easy up until Spencer got into the 8th grade. He's in 10th grade now and nothing's really changed. He fights more with Patrick and grew the balls to talk back to me. Plus Wiley and Sodapop has caught him sneaking out on multiple occasions. I haven't seen it because that's usually when I'm with the gang but he got mad at me when we punished him.

I sniffled and was about to stand up but I felt hands wrap around me and a pair of lips rest against my neck. I was startled but knew it was only Wiley. "Why you crying, Elle?"

I wiped my hands over my face and exhaled slowly, "rough day with the boys."

"I have news, Elle. Bad news." Wiley muttered. "Let's go to our room." He laced his hand in mine and we walked to our bedroom.

"What could possibly be so bad?" I sat on the bed and he stood against the door.

"I was talking to some of the Coyotes today and someone said 'Bovino' got out of jail. I thought to myself, that's not possible, Peter got the chair like 15 years ago..." he paused. "Your dad, Elle. He's out."

"My-" I cut myself off and a look of worry washed over my face. "He's gonna find me, Wiley." I rushed the door but he put his hands out to stop me. "Move," I demanded. "Move out of my way, Spencer!" I yelled and pushed past him.

Wiley hadn't seen me yell like that at him in quite some time so he stepped out of the way and followed directly behind me. Spencer came from his bedroom.

"I didn't do anything, mom," he complained.

"Not you, hun." I walked past him and picked up the phone to call my mom. We aren't in relations anymore but I know she lives at our old house still and she deserves to know this. "Mom," I muttered when she picked up.