Chapter 23

Elle's POV

-

"Coppers, I don't know why I'm even here. Me and my boyfriend were just trying to visit my late grandfather at his grave when you guys arrested me." I lied. Me and some of the other Coyotes got a story together in the car.

He scoffed and sat down, "the officer that arrested you said you were kissing someone when you got arrested. Said you were pointed out as the leader of one of the gangs."

I laughed out loud, "do you hear yourself? My name is Elle Bovino," I paused for a second because the look on his face shifted. "My brother-"

"I know what your brother did." He cut me off and folded his hands. "That has nothing to do with this."

I leaned back in my chair, "you didn't let me finish. My brother was the gang leader of the Coyotes before he got sent to jail. I'm 16, and the Coyotes don't even allow people under 18 to be in their gang, much less be the leader of their gang. At the same time, I'm a girl. So me being the leader of the gang doesn't make sense. I already told you, me and my boyfriend were there visiting my grandfather."

"I never told you what gangs were involved, darling," the cop grinned, thinking he had me.

I leaned forward and folded my hands on the table, "you don't seem to listen. My brother was the gang leader before he raped me. You don't think I didn't see Coyotes walking in and out of my house constantly? I know who people are." I tilted my head, "I don't know what you're trying to prove."

"So who is the leader now that your brother is in jail?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "there probably isn't one, coppers. Shit doesn't happen that fast."

"Okay, well, I guess we can't hold you here," he sighed and shook his head. "We'll let you call your mother to pick you up." He said as he stood up.

I rolled my eyes, "man, my mom is at work right now and the last thing she wants to do is to leave early to come get her delinquent daughter."

"You'd rather stay here then?" The officer opened the door to lead me out.

"Well, I'm not making my mom leave work. She has bills to pay. You have kids right? I mean if you do they're probably socials."

"I have a 10-year-old and a 16-year-old," he avoided eye contact and nodded his head, "we aren't greasers. They aren't in gangs if that's what you're getting at."

I laughed out loud, "no of course not, they could never be like me. So close to the streets."

"Watch it, Bovino. You ain't seeing kids on the Westside being raped by their own blood. You one in a few who ain't got a kid in you after an act like that," the man snapped at me.

I narrowed my eyes at him and shoved through the door. He grabbed my wrists thinking I was gonna run when in reality I was just going to sit with the rest of them and away from him. I tried pulling my wrist away but he grabbed my shoulders as well. I didn't want to faint again. Not in front of the Coyotes. The longer he held onto me the more freaked I got. I was able to prevent myself from crying because if I did I don't think id ever show my face again, but I did my fair share of screaming until the Coyotes realized I wasn't fighting the cop just to piss him off.

"Aye, hands off her!" The Coyotes stood up but other officers held them back to their seats before they got to me.

"Walker, what the hell do you think you're doing?" A guy in a suit came walking down the hall, "you have any idea who she is?"

"Yes sir, but-"

"Shut up, let go of her," he grabbed the officer by the sleeve and pulled him away from me, down the hallway and into an office.

I leaned against the wall with my eyes closed. I took a deep break and slowly recollected myself back to normal. I hate being treated different. But I was also thankful for being recognized as the girl who just got raped.

"We'll call your mom," the same guy in the suit came down the hall, "when we got word that you were arrested all officers were informed not to touch you if you showed any signs of discomfort. After working your case and sending your brother to jail, we seen you already had a record and knew you'd be back. Doctors and nurses told us that since your older brother did it, you never really let men close to you. Even touch you."

I rubbed my hands on my forearms and stuffed them into my pockets, "I tend to faint when I'm scared... Only reason I wasn't then was because we were in front of my brother's old gang."

"You're a brave girl, Elle. I don't know many 16-year-olds that would stay smiling after an incident like that." The man stopped at a phone and picked it up.

I shook my head, "my mom won't get me. She's at work."

The doors opened and people parted. Guards and police came in and cuffed up, was Peter. He's been released from the hospital. I stood against the counter and watched him struggle against the guards. Peter then saw me standing there and his motive changed from being frustrated with the guards to hating me again. He tried shoving through the police and guards but was just barely unsuccessful. My heart coiled just seeing him again. He's the bain of my existence.

Peter was taken down the hall, out the double doors do the second building to the jail to be held, and I wanted to get the hell out of there.

-

I watched the clock strike midnight and I was the last to be left in the holding. The lady sitting at the desk let out a yawn and the man from earlier began walking down the hallway with his bag and keys in his hand.

"Oh, Elle," he seemed surprised to see me still sitting there, "you haven't gone home?"

I stared at the clock again and didn't take my eyes off it, "Sir, my mother is a busy woman. She must have forgotten I'm here. Usually, I'm out with friends so I don't come home sometimes so it's not unusual for the house to be empty."

He set his bag down, "we could give another call?"

I laughed out loud, "I'll see you in the morning?"

From my peripheral I seen him looking at me for a long moment. He then looked at the lady at the desk and sighed. "In the morning." He agreed and picked his bag up. I watched him walk out the door.

-

Peter's POV

-

My life is over. What I did to Elle was... The unthinkable. I never would have imagined anyone laying their hands on her like I did. Yet, I don't know what came over me. I remember it all clear as day I just don't remember it being me. When she asked if I took my pills, my anger management pills, I knew I didn't.

I hate Elle now. She could have stayed quiet about everything but she just had to go tell her stupid ass boyfriend. When I saw her in the jail I wanted nothing more than to slap her across the face too. I tried but you know I was cuffed with all those guards. I didn't even know why she was there, so when I asked some police they told me she is suspected to be the leader of the Coyotes. What a fucking joke.

Elle Bovino, who escaped being a pup, is now the leader of the Coyotes? Funny. I guess there was a gang fight though, and she was hauled in for that reason. Good to know. If she is leader of the Coyotes, she'll be eaten alive. Those guys are worse than me. Some are worse than L.S. and L.S. beat the hell out of her just for opening the door. Bye bye, Elle Bovino.