Chapter 21

Me and Soda were leaving the Coyote house... pretty late. It was a couple hours after I had gotten my tattoo and we were just visiting with them until me and Sodapop realized the time. We started heading home but of course, we weren't alone. We noticed headlights following us for a good couple blocks and Soda let us to keep walking thinking it was Socs. It wasn't until I glanced back and it was not mustang or bigshot Soc car. It was a little black bug. Kind of rusty.

"It's no Socs, Sodapop, a greaser following us is worse than some Socs," I grabbed onto his arm and began walking faster. First male contact since Peter.

"Fermare, Bovino," I heard a deep voice. "Sono KeyMen, devi venire." He got out of his car but left it running. "Now."

I bit my lip and turned around, "what?"

"Jeffrey sends me."

I nodded my head, "Trying to get me to be part of the KeyMen? solo perché sono italiano non significa che farò parte della tua banda."

He gruffly chuckled and shook his head, "oh, baby. Little child," he was speaking broken English. Stupid bitch. "Girl you are no gang. So KeyMen."

"Wrong. I lead a gang."

He scowled, "what?"

I cackled and crossed my arms so my tattoo on my forearm was visible, "my brother went to prison and he was leader of the Coyotes. They needed a leader so now I lead people that could be twice my age. So tell your leader that he can't have me," I spun on my heel and grabbed ahold of Soda's arm again.

I felt a hand on my shoulder shortly after so I flinched and shut my eyes tightly, feeling like I was gonna faint, "little girl, you have some mouth," he smirked, "boyfriend?"

I looked to my right at Sodapop and he locked his hand with mine. He still hasn't said anything. He's scared. "No," I muttered and squeezed his hand tighter.

"East cemetery parking lot," the KeyMen rubbed his hands together, "send Coyotes. You're a woman you can't fight." He huffed and turned around, walked back to his car and I was able to calm down.

Sodapop and I glanced at each other and he only cracked a small smile. Our hands stayed locked. I didn't want to go home, and I didn't want him to go either. I wanted to stay out all night with him and do the things we used to when we were in love. Play cards, hopscotch, climb trees, skip rocks... He doesn't even feel like the same Sodapop anymore. I don't know when we let each other stop loving one another but it's affected him.

"A rumble," I sighed and let go, "what am I supposed to do?"

"I can probably ask my boys to fight," Soda followed behind me, "the Coyotes will be outnumbered but if we get my gang, and the Brumley's, it could mean a better chance for the Coyotes."

I bit my lip, "do you think we'll ever get back together, Soda?" I avoided talk about joining the gangs. The Coyotes wouldn't like it.

Sodapop stayed quiet for a moment, "I can't think about that right now and you shouldn't either. You can barely stand any guy touching you, Elle. You aren't happy with me and I'm not happy with you."

I stuffed my hands into my jacket pockets, "I was happy with you." I muttered.

"You constantly cheated on me. You were not happy, Elle and that's okay. I love you but I just can't be with you," he set his hand on my shoulder and I cringed a little.

I took a deep breath, "is it because of what Peter did to me?" I shakily let my breath out.

Sodapop took his hand off, "no. Everyone may treat you different, but I won't. You're my best friend before you're my girlfriend, Elle and I hate your brother for what he did. He had no right to touch you, to leave so many bruises on you..."

I turned around and faced Sodapop, "why don't I feel normal yet? When will I be happy with my own body again?"

Soda left eye contact with me and looked to the ground, "if you're asking when you'll be able to enjoy sex again," he tucked my hair behind my ear, "I say give it time, Elle."

I took another deep breath to calm myself down, "can I have a sleepover with you guys tonight? I miss being with you."

"No, Elle. You're not my girlfriend anymore," he began walking so I followed slightly behind him, "I will take you home."

-

I was sitting inside the bar with Schneider and Nate Brumley, and Tanner Manpatt. They were sitting at one side of the table drinking as I sat on the other side, still not being comfortable with being touched.

"Bovino," I heard behind me, but as I was about to turn around he slid into the booth next to me with his arm around my shoulders. I made eye contact with all three boys sitting across from me, then fainted. Dallas is back in town.

-

I opened my eyes and the four boys were staring down at me from above. I quickly sat up and moved myself away from them all.

"Man, last time I saw you faint you were fighting your brother off of Soda," he grinned, "I came back because I got word that Peter is in prison. C'mon, doll, what'd he do?"

I looked at the other three and shook my head, then stood up, "you and Soda broke up, right, hun?"

I bit my tongue and kissed my teeth, "me and Sodapop broke up, yes. Peter went to jail because he raped me, Dallas." I avoided eye contact.

"I-uh," he coughed, "I didn't-" he rubbed the back of his neck and cleared his throat, "when we-"

I cut him off, "no, Dally. I enjoyed and stayed awake for everything we did, and you didn't leave a mark on my body. Peter yelled at me, hit me, made me faint, and while I was out he fully had sex with my unconscious body. I woke up with no clothes on and bruises all around my body. He is my brother and he is 9 years older than me."

Dally sighed, "is that why Soda broke up with you?"

I shook my head and glanced at Schneider then Tanner, then back at Dallas, "he broke up with me because I flirt with guys too often and I cheated on him twice."

Nate broke the awkward tension, "Hey, uh," he stood up, "we have that rumble soon."

"There's a rumble?" Dally grinned, "what's the cause, man?"

I lifted my sleeve and showed my new Coyote tatt. Dal's eyes widened and he looked confused so I decided to answer any possible questions.

"They made me the first minor Coyote in the gang but it came with a catch. I'm the leader," I grinned, "apparently since Peter is in jail, all these gangs now want me. Coyotes, Manpatts, Key Men," I put my sleeve down. "People love me."

"We only want you because everyone else wants you," Tanner chuckled, "my brother hates your guts because you flirted with me but when he found out the Key Men want you, he decided to break our no-girls rule."

"Am I the only one you haven't tried getting at? I'm offended," Nate teased me.

Schneider was staring at the ground so I tilted his chin up, "you okay?"

"Yeah," he smiled, "I just feel bad because Soda broke up with you when he saw you leaving my house."

I nodded my head, "he broke up with me because of the things I did. Not anyone else," I glanced at Dal and Tanner as well, "Sodapop and I are still friends."