Chapter 38

3 years later, February 1988

-

"Mom, I'm 18, can I finally join the Coyotes?" Spencer was begging me and had been for a while. We were all sitting in the Coyote house when he decided to ask again.

I laughed, "that's funny, Spence. No. It's too dangerous." I looked at Sodapop and Wiley for support but they just both quickly glanced away.

Spencer groaned, "I'm not a kid anymore, mom. I can handle it. Dad, tell her to let me join." He nudged Wiley forward.

"Aye, she's my wife but when it comes to the gang I have no say." Wiley defended himself.

"Mom, I'll tell everyone what you told me last night if you don't let me join," Spencer threatened. This little shit...

I stared at him then gave in, "fine," I huffed. "You're getting tattooed right now then." I snapped and shoved him to the dining table. "Kenny!" I shouted.

"What'd you tell him?" Wiley sat on the table.

Sodapop walked over as well, "yeah, do we know?"

"No," I muttered and shushed them. "Don't worry about it."

Spencer laughed and got himself prepared for the tattoo. After a while, his tattoo was finally done. He glanced over at a girl Coyote who we had initiated not too long ago. He walked over to her, kissed her and I gasped more than anyone. By that, I mean only I was phased.

"You little shi-"

"He told me he had a girlfriend in the gang..." Sodapop muttered to me. "Don't be mad at him."

"Yeah," Wiley chuckled, "it's been hard not telling you about it, Elle."

I stared at Spencer and his girlfriend and when she noticed, her eyes went wide and she moved behind Spencer. Spencer rolled his eyes and laced his hand with hers, then pulled her outside.

"Anyway, what's the secret?" Sodapop grinned. "C'mon, Elle. We dated for how long?"

"We've been married and friends for how long?" Wiley added in.

I shushed them again. "Fine, but let's go outside." I tugged on both of their hands until we were out the front door. Before I said anything, I made sure no one was around. "Elle is just a nickname... like it's a short version of my real name. My birth name is Estelle." I cringed.

The boys busted out laughing, "aye I'm Estelle Bovino." Soda mocked which caused Wiley to laugh harder.

"Estelle Jackson." Wiley cackled using the last name I took from him.

"Don't be mean!" I shoved them both. "I was gonna send Spencer to go pick up Patrick from school, but now both of you can go. Bye," I walked back inside and shut the door before they could say anything.

Man, I love them. And I couldn't possibly imagine if I had cut Sodapop of when I wanted, aka after he had left me. But I'm damn glad I didn't because they still give me an exciting life even when I'm in my 30s. That's probably what I get though.

-

Me and the old White Blade gang decided to spend time together at Darry's house like old days. It was nice because Dallas was the only member of the White Blades that never joined the Coyotes so this gave a chance for us to hang out with him. Not that I want to. Everyone else eventually switched over but I think Dal knew I wouldn't allow him to join. Plus, Dallas is a better lone wolf. He lives alone, works alone and thrives alone. Anyway, it's not like we don't see Dallas. We just don't see him too often anymore like we did when we were kids. He goes out of town pretty often anyway.

It was the first time in so long that we were all free. Soda, Steve and I were on the couch, Darry was with Two and Johnny in the dining room, and Pony and Dallas were standing near the hall. I leaned my head onto Steve and sighed happily.

"Our teenage lives were living hell. Glad we are all giving our kids new chances."

"No kid talk," Darry snapped. He has two little girls now. "Today it's just us." We all chuckled. "But man I'm glad to be away from those damned kids," Darry shook his head.

"You're talking? Ponyboy piped in. "Your kids are no match to mine."

I rolled my eyes, "pfft. Soda and I got you guys beat. Spencer forced us to let him join the Coyotes. I had to put out a threat to anyone in the gang to make sure they don't mess with him."

Soda put his arm around my shoulders, "she's overreacting. She's just mad that Spencer has a girlfriend that she didn't know about." He laughed.

"Aye, I think Spencer's cool. I hate this Wiley guy you're married to but that son of yours can party," Dally chuckled and sipped his beer.

I shot a glare at Dallas and stood up, "what?"

"Hey, Elle. He's 18 he's not a kid anymore." Sodapop grabbed my wrist.

I tore my hand away and walked towards Dallas, "you take my son out partying? What about Patrick? Him too?" I crossed my arms.

"I don't take him partying but I show him how to have a good time," Dallas shrugged.

"God damnit, Winston." I clenched my fists but took a deep breath and turned away. "Stay away from my boys. Don't need them to be under your influence."

"Aye, they're kids. Let them live how you lived."

"I don't want to!" I snapped at him. "I lived a bad life, Winston and if my kids follow in my footsteps because of you, you won't live to see me beat their asses."

Dally chuckled unbothered, "gonna kill me? Hire a hitman?"

Sodapop moved in between us, "don't say it like she won't, Dallas." He warned and moved me away.

I stuffed my hands into my pockets and walked back to the couch. What Soda means by that is we have a designated hitman. His name goes undisclosed to anyone that isn't me, but we've never gotten caught, and no. I don't use him often but when needed, I send him on what I refer to as a 'mission'. The whole gang knows about this, but everyone stays wondering who it is. I'm never afraid to use him especially since I was able to get the White Blades to convert into Coyotes. They're my family and if I know someone is a threat, I simply take care of it. No one suspects the gang that is in it with the police, either.

As for the Coyotes, I'm not gonna say we're the biggest gang on the east side but we're definitely most desirable. We get plenty of new Pups every week. Most are too scared to change their scar like I did when I was a Pup, so we really never lose members. The only members that we actually "lose" are ones that start families and show up less often. But that was me at one point so I'm not complaining.

We haven't had any rival gangs since the Key Men but man do other gangs hate us. I'd say the Brumly's and the Manpatts are the only two gangs on the east side that don't mind us. Schneider from the Brumly's refused to convert his gang and since he got over that crush on me when we were kids, he stopped talking to me completely. Now it's just their members that keep in touch with us, but even then they mostly hung around Dallas so we don't even see much of them. For the Manpatts, Tanner Manpatt finally leads. His brother left the gang to him after he got shot... they have no proof it was us. But since me and Tanner were friends as teens, his gang is pretty cool with ours. Every other gang tried to win us over in Rumbles like we did the Key Men, but none have been successful.

When I say my gang is dangerous, I mean it. The more we grow the more dangerous we get too. It isn't all shits and giggles like it seems to be. Behind the scenes, behind closed doors and under the sheets, things get bloody. Things turn red real quick.