Chapter 31

Sodapop's POV

-

After the rest of the White Blades told me no on joining the Coyotes, Elle was upset. Of course, by the end of the day she had fully recovered and understood, but I always could tell she was uneasy by it. After about a couple weeks of more growing apart from Elle, I decided to go behind my gang's back and join the Coyotes. Well, I'm still too young so I became a pup. When deciding on my burn placement, I chose the ankle because who's gonna sit and stare at my ankle long enough?

Being allowed to attend gang hangouts was weird for me and never went as expected. Elle always talked to the Coyotes instead of me and I began to notice a lot of what goes on in that house. The girls weren't too fond of Elle, probably mad that a 16-year-old girl is the leader instead of them but the men absolutely praised her. It's like she secretly sucked them all off which is why they all love her so much.

One Coyote in particular always got me admittedly jealous. Wiley. Or... Spencer or whatever the hell his name is. They are constantly together. I mean, at parties they dance and drink together, at hangouts she sits right next to him. He stands up for her whenever she needs it, and backs her up in all arguments or conversations. Plus he was one of the ones to run towards Elle immediately when she got shot at. Of course, it could be tied to the fact that he got her to join, and she's his leader so he kind of has to protect her... but I'm her boyfriend. I should be the one she looks to for all this crap she's getting from Wiley.

I never knew what to say in situations I felt uncomfortable in. Like if he'd pick her up and put her on his lap while they hung out or when she shared a cigarette with him. He's so much more older than me so what am I supposed to say? She'd probably get defensive anyway and deny ever "cheating" on me. I mean I wouldn't even call it cheating but it's "innocent" flirting nonetheless. He has a crush on her. I know a crush when I see one but I can't let her get away again.

Elle's POV

-

As time passed and Sodapop finally became a Coyote, I figured all was right in my life at that point. Wiley and I got closer as friends as well which kept me happy. Altogether, it was hard keeping Sodapop being a pup a secret from the White Blades. He always assured me that they never suspected a thing, but he also started acting weird around me. Not only me, around the whole gang. Like he was awkward around us. I never did find out why but it continued for a very long time. I'd say it actually didn't stop until the next time we broke up, which of course was many years in the future but life was wild since then.

-

4 years later, 1968

-

Sodapop's POV

-

I felt her slipping away from me more and more. As a teen, I thought she was flirting with Wiley but I definitely have some cheating speculations now. They are inseparable and last time I said something about them spending too much time together, we got in a fight and she accused me of not trusting her enough. But this is Spencer for god's sake. He's never liked me so I have reasons to think he's sleeping with Elle behind my back.

Last year we were finally able to get all the White Blades to join the Coyotes, well, all except for Dal who refused. Probably having something to do with Elle being the leader. Women in control do scare him.

Anyway, I knew I needed to get my shit together but the only way I knew how involved a ring. So, I got the help of Wiley to ensure he knows she's mine and the help of Steve. All they had to do was make sure she didn't suspect anything and to get our whole gang there to watch. We planned on staying in at the Coyote house that night, but she didn't know we'd also get engaged.

The gang sat around us as me and Elle moseyed on the couch. She began to question why no one was talking too much because usually during movies no one could shut up. I decided to pop the question. I got on one knee in front of her.

"Elle, since we were 15 we been together. I don't know my way around proposing, but I sure hope I'm doing this right because I been thinking about this day for a while. No one knows this so this is kind of our announcement to the gang, but Steve, Pony and I finally got confirmation on our shop. We'll be living decent once we get going, Elle." I pulled the box from my pocket, "will you marry me?" It was weak speech, I know.

Elle glanced around the room and by the time her eyes landed back on me, she was crying. She doesn't cry like this which made me smile. "Yes, Soda." She slipped off the couch and into my arms, kissing me. I placed the ring on her finger and right then a whole rager broke out. We partied all night long.

-

Elle's POV

-

Sodapop proposed... it was one of the most unexpected moments I've ever experienced because honestly, I felt me and a Sodapop drifting apart still. I know he doesn't like some of the people in the gang, but that's all I could think of as a problem. He did accuse me of sleeping with Wiley so we got in a fight about that but that was some time ago and we haven't gotten in a fight since. I'm guessing he proposed to lock-in that we'll actually be together forever, which I don't mind. I want to be with Soda forever. I can actually see us having kids together. And since they're opening their shop, we'll be stable.

-

Wiley's POV

-

Watching Sodapop and Elle kiss, a great deal of anger built up inside me. Sure, I agreed to help Soda when he asked but me and him have never liked each other. I just don't think he's good enough for Elle. She deserves a lot, and Sodapop is just a high school sweetheart. I talked to other gang members but seemingly, I'm the only one who thought that. Even the people who have known everything she and him have gone through said this proposal was a good idea. Someone actually ended up asking me if I was jealous, and Ponyboy asked if I had a crush on Elle. Of course, I said no way to both. Yeah, she's hot but ain't my type. Too young for me. We're just good friends and it'll stay that way.

For the whole party, I felt uneasy. I wanted to say goodnight and head home but it'll make me look like a jerk for dipping in the middle of her party. She was drunk though and a Sodapop began glaring at me as he passed by. I don't recall ever crossing paths with Elle though. I'd just hear her scream something in Italian once in a while or hear a crash and know she fell into something. I stood by the door most of the party, not really talking to anyone.

I don't think Elle and Sodapop should get married. I mean hell anyone who knows their history should be thinking the same but oh well. I mean, what happens when she gets pregnant? We can't have babies in the gang and since she's now engaged of course they're gonna want kids. We aren't ready for kids. Elle isn't ready for a damn kid. Sodapop needs to take him and his brothers, run his car shop and leave us Coyotes alone. We hadn't been the same since the White Blade gang joined. I'll support Elle but don't expect me to love Sodapop and her being married.