Chapter 24

Elle's POV

-

"Good morning, Elle," the man walked through the doors around 6 am. "Did you sleep at all?"

I tapped my foot against the hard concrete floor, "no sir."

He nodded his head and walked down the hall to his office. A couple minutes later he came back, "breakfast?"

"No thanks."

"We can call your mom again?"

"le mie mamme non vengono," I spat.

He went quiet for a moment then sat at a chair across from me, "my name is Steve Clark," he began. My mind immediately went to my now ex-best friend Steve. "I'm this jails warden."

I snickered, "what the hell is a warden?"

"I'm in charge of the jail. If our town were any smaller you'd call me a sheriff." He laced his hands together, "I have two kids around your age and a wife, a dog," he tried making eye contact with me but I avoided it. "Tell me about yourself, Elle. You have a brother, a mom."

"My dad went to jail for domestic and child abuse against my mom, me and my brother. For other things too but that's what he was arrested for. Peter dedicated his life to protecting me." I paused and contemplated telling him what Peter did to L.S.

"What is it?"

I looked up at him, "I won't get in trouble for not reporting something sooner, will I?"

"Come with me," he stood up and brought me into the same room I was in with the cop yesterday. "What happened?"

"A couple weeks ago I was looking for Peter. This was before he was the leader of the Coyotes. The leader of the Coyotes was a man named L.S. I walked into the Coyote house and L.S. got mad. He started hitting me. The Coyotes were watching but they couldn't do anything about it because they would have gotten the same beating. Peter came around the corner and saw what was happening and made L.S. stop, then sent me home." I paused and put my hands over my face in fear of crying like I did when I found out.

"What happened, Elle?"

"Later I found out that Peter went back and killed him. I don't know where he did it or where he dumped the body but he told me he did it alone. I'm the only other person who knows. The gang thinks that he drove L.S. out of town because it wouldn't have been the first time that someone fled because they're scared of Peter," I lied to save everyone's asses. "It's been so hard to keep this secret and I've been scared of Peter ever since he did it but he said he did it to protect me."

Steve Clark remained quiet like he didn't know what to say. I wiped my eyes and looked up at him and ran my hands through my hair, "please say I'm not in trouble."

"No. Uh," he grabbed a notepad from his blazer pocket, "what was his name?"

"Luther Sebastian. People knew him by the name L.S." His face fell blank again and he only got through writing about half of Luther. "What's wrong?"

"Luther Sebastian was my best friend all through high school, we lost touch when I went to college and he didn't," he coughed. "I'm sorry he hurt you and everything."

"I wish none of this ever happened," I closed my eyes and sunk down in my chair. "I'm sorry about your friend, man."

"If you could just tell the story again, maybe slower so I could write it down... That'd be great." He got ready so I sighed and got my story ready again.

-

After I was done with the sheriff guy, he finally let me go. I stood at the exit and took a deep breath, decided to head to the DX to see Sodapop and went on my way.