Chapter 35

5 years later, April 1975

-

"Hun, calm down," Wiley chuckled as we sat on the couch of the Coyote house together. Sodapop had Spence for the day.

I rolled my eyes, "we can't have another baby," I leaned my head on his shoulder, "we aren't even married."

"You wanna get married?" Wiley smiled, "babe, I can make that happen."

"Yeah, of course, I do," I locked my hand with his, "you've been a great dad to Spencer for his whole life. Soda is great but man Spence loves you, Wiles. I see it. He gets upset when you aren't gonna be the one to pick him up from school and as much as he loves Sodapop, I think he loves you just as much. Maybe more." I smiled. "He has two awesome dads."

"But you really wanna marry me?" He turned my face towards his. "I wouldn't mind marrying you, Elle."

"Yes." I kissed his lips. "I love you."

"Gross," one of the Coyotes muttered as he walked past us. The people around started laughing.

"You weren't here when her and Miles almost got it on right there on the couch." One of the older members of the Coyotes chuckled.

"Who's Miles?" a newer member asked to room.

I rolled my eyes, "someone who left the gang because he was scared of me. It was when Sodapop and I were still together. Soda broke up with me, Miles and I started a thing. I was told Peter was put on death row so I was pretty upset. When Soda brought me home, Miles came later that night and found us asleep together. Started beating up Sodapop. So I talked to Miles and he left. I think he's in the Manpatts now."

"I've heard stories from when you were a teenager, Elle." One of the pups sat down. "Like Luther, Peter, Jeffery."

"Never follow in my footsteps, kid," I nodded at her. "Look at me. I only lead this gang because my brother-"

"Enough, Elle. No more talking about why." Wiley stood up. "We gotta go meet Soda anyway."

"Are we gonna tell him about the baby?" I stood up and followed him to the car.

"Sure, why not," he got in and we began driving to Sodapop's place.

I felt nervous about telling Soda. Of course, me and Sodapop are very good friends still. Its kind of hard for us not to be. We're in the same gang, he fathers my child. We are just constantly around each other. But I'm sure to be sensitive around him about me and Wiley because I don't know where he stands on that. All I know is how he used to feel about it. And we don't fuck around and hang out like when we were 16. It sucks. No one likes being divorced, and I wish I didn't have to give Spencer split parents. But it's also life. If you asked me 10 years ago if I thought I'd be with Sodapop at all still, I would have said hell no. I would have thought to be dead or in prison by now like Peter is dead and my dad is in prison.

We got to Sodapop's and knocked on the door. His new girlfriend opened the door so I rolled my eyes and so did Wiley. We don't like her. She's in it with Sodapop for his business and I've heard her say it to her little girlfriends. I thought I asked Sodapop to stop bringing his tokens home when Spencer is at his house also.

"Hello, Mary," I faked a smile, "I'm here to pick up my son." I moved past her, bumped her shoulder and walked in.

"Mom!" Spence jumped from the table and giggled as he ran to me. "Dad took me to his shop today. Him and Steve showed me stuff."

I smoothed Spencer's chocolate brown hair and smiled, "I love that, baby. Did you have fun?"

"Lots," he hugged me and moved to Wiley next. "You got to see this, dad."