CHAPTER 27

Nate Archibald's POV:
"What are the needs for a new house?" I ask.

"Seven bedrooms, even if we use the attic and need renovations. At least three full baths and one half bath. A good backyard or Central Park within walking distance. An updated kitchen. Hardwoods but carpet in bedrooms. That's it," she says.

"I agree."

Liz Archibald's POV:
I have a really big crush on a boy named Jake. The problem is, he notices me and we talk sometimes but he's so popular and I'm not. He hangs out in the girls hall sometimes, but I think I've been friend zoned.

After a few minutes of pondering over Jake, I hear Nate yell from the living room: "Liz, we have news!"
I go and sit on the couch. Jake and his mom (I think) were sitting on the couch.

"We're moving, and we're looking at the first house now. It's the house Nate grew up in. You to need to watch the babies," Mom says. Then she, Nate, and Mrs. Smith leave.

"Hey," he says.

"Hey."

Then a baby starts crying. I run to the nursery to get her. It's Annie. Jake comes to the nursery, where I'm rocking the baby while sitting criss-cross.

"So this is your sister?" he asks.

"There are two more. They're triplets," I answer. He looks amazed. He takes Mary out of her crib.

I put some music on. The first song is really old, it's Ain't it Fun by Paramore, but it's a favorite of mine.

"Your mom looks young, so does your dad," he says.

"Wow, we've been alone for two minutes and I already have a long story to tell. My mom had me when she was eighteen out of anger for my step dad, Nate. Twelve years later, Nate and my mom got married, and their about to have their fourth month anniversary," I explain.

"That's crazy! My mom is single. She's made it well in the real estate world. I have an older brother, who's only a year older than us. But I'm taller than him!" Jake is way too overexcited over being taller than his brother.

"Let's play truth or dare," I say. Then, after he nods, I follow up with: "Truth or dare?"

"Truth." He's obviously nervous.

"Who do you like?" I deviously ask.

"Nobody really."

Then Mom and the rest walk in.

"Well, Liz, you are staying with the Smiths for a few days while we pack up," Nate says.

The adults talk while Jake helps me pack my stuff for the next four days. I pack three pairs of shoes: my Grey Cardy UGGs, my black flats, and my Nike Free Runs. I pack a sweatshirt from my old school, a few uniform pieces, dark wash super skinny jeans, a few tees, and sweatpants. I also pack toiletries and my chargers, earbuds, phone, etc.

Then we drive home. I sit next to Jake in the back seat of the BMW SUV. I'm wearing my Hunter boots, a cami with a Patagonia fleece over it, and some Nike leggings. It's pouring out of the car, and I'm watching the raindrops. The silence is louder than Annie's cries. We finally arrive.

When we walk in, I immediately hear his older brother. "Mom, I'm hungry but you haven't gone grocery shopping!"

Then he sees me and looks confused. We just look at each other for a few seconds, until he speaks up.

"Who are you?" he asks.

"Liz. Who are you?" I reply.

"Will. Are you a cousin or something?"

"She's staying with us while her parents pack up the apartment," Jake says.

"Okay." He doesn't seem excited for having anybody in the house.

Jake shows me the guest bedroom, and I put my bag away. Then Will walks in.
"Let's start over. That was awkward."

I reply, "Awkward would be an understatement. Before you ask questions, I have three baby sisters who are triplets, I have a slight accent because I just moved from Britain six months ago, and yes, the rumors about James and I breaking up are true."

"Thanks. Before you ask questions, Jake isn't taller than me, we're the exact same height, I love food, and I think lacrosse is the best sport ever," Will replies.

Jake speaks up: "Am I the only one who thinks this is weird?"
Their mom was at the grocery store getting lunch stuff for the week. I ponder Jake's question. Then I just freak out. I breathe heavily and fall to the ground.

Please no. I haven't had an anxiety attack since that time at James's five months ago. This cannot be happening. Please. God not right now.

Jake Smith's POV:
"Liz! Are you okay?" I ask.
She shakes her head. "Anxiety. T-the walls are cl-closing in. I-I'm so n-nervous."

I pick her up an take her to my room because she's too weak to walk. Will gets a warm towel and ice.

She isn't calming down. She can't control herself. I suddenly have an idea. It's risky but worth a try.
I press my lips to hers. My heart is beating so hard, I'm pretty sure she can feel it. That must have some comfort. She calms a bit. Everything is okay.