Chapter 28

Liz Archibald's POV:
     "Jake! Hurry up! There are other people who need to put in contacts and shower and pee and use the bathroom in general in this house!" I scream while banging on the door. He doesn't answer.
     "In ten seconds I am going in there and using the bathroom so you had better be done by then! Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three," I say.
     "Okay I'm done," he remarks in an annoyed voice. He's shirtless with a towel on. He's hot. Like I would totally date him.
     "Thanks!" I say.
     I take my toiletries and clothes for the day into the bathroom. I shower, change into my uniform, and do contacts, hair, and makeup.

Jake Smith's POV:
      Liz, Will, and I are eating on our walk to school. Liz is shivering. Will is trying to cheer her up with funny faces.
     "Will, I'm not two. Funny faces don't entertain me," she says with chattering teeth.
     "Here," I say and give her my jacket, which is giant on her tiny frame.
     "Thanks. Thanks for the jacket and last night. I guess I should've told you guys I have severe crowd anxiety and mild anxiety in awkward or stressful situations," she tells us. She is still shivering.
     Liz is beautiful today. Her hair is in a high ponytail with some type of braid into it. She is wearing black tights under her uniform and she has makeup on. I think it's eyeliner and blush, maybe. I don't know anything about makeup. Maybe I'll learn this week.
     "Are you okay? You're still shivering," Will says. He puts his arm around her. Game on, asshole.

Liz Archibald's POV:
     Will puts his arm around me. Everything gets awkward. The death glare is given to him by Jake. Then, Jake kisses me. Again.
     I feel so vulnerable. Then James comes over and punches Jake.
     "Oh my God are you okay?" I ask. Jake is on the ground.
      Everything escalates from there. Will kisses me while he has a chance. I start breathing heavily. I'm in another anxiety attack. Thousands of questions go through my head. Will Jake be okay? Will James be suspended.
     Then one hits me like a truck. Do I love Will instead of Jake? No. He's been nothing but rude. Jake has been really protective and nice.
     Jake gets up. His lip is bleeding, along with his nose. He looks really disoriented. I take his arm and lead him to the clinic. It must look ridiculous, since Jake is 5'7".
     "This is Jacob Smith. James Williams punched him. He's really dizzy," I tell the nurse. Then I leave.
                            •
     We're home alone. We're all in Jake's room, talking.
     "What the hell, Will. What were you thinking this morning?" I ask.
     "I like you a lot," he replies.
     "You made me feel really vulnerable and like a toy. I'm not dating older boys anymore. And you've been nothing but rude to me since I got here."
     Then Jake talks. "I like you a lot too. Thank you so much for taking me to the nurse." I feel the same about him. Then I break down crying.
     Jake puts his arm around me.
     "What's wrong?"

Jake Smith's POV:

     "It's just I cause people to hate me. Lia, James, Will, my biological father, Jimmy. What is wrong with me?" she asks.
     "Nothing. There is nothing wrong with you. I love you," I say.
     "Then why did I do this?"
     She strips to her underwear. She's covered in bruises, scars, and new cuts. She must be feeling so vulnerable and helpless right now. She cries more.
     "I'm here for you. I will always be here. You can always talk to me. You can trust me." Why hasn't Will left?
     "But I always feel so nervous around you. You just always seem flawless with your clear skin and everything. I was a mistake to begin with, and I always will be."
     Makeup is running down her face. I had no idea she felt that way. All I want to do is do anything to get that idea out of her head.
     "I'm scared of myself. I'm scared I'm going to make a mistake or cut too deep. I can't stand myself."
     I hug her tightly. She burrows her head into my shoulder and let her stay there for a while.
     "Thank you so much for listening," she says. "Leave me alone, Will."
     Liz and I join lips. Mom walks in.
     "Jacob Cole Smith! What are you doing?" Oh my God. I am so dead.
     Liz looks over. She's still crying with the makeup all down her face.
     "Liz, honey, what's wrong? And why do you have a fat lip and a bruised nose, Jake?" she asks.
     "My ex punched him for hugging me," Liz says. "And I'm just having an awful day."
     I'll have to thank her for saving my ass. "And I'm kissing her because I'm insane and I'm not thinking and I don't really know if we're dating or not."
     "I think we are," Liz says. Then she follows up with: "I think I'll go home and pack my room." She packs her stuff and leaves.
                          •
     I'm calling Mr. Nate. After four rings, he answers.
     "Hello?"
     "This is Jake. I think you should know that Liz is cutting again. She's walking home right now."
     "Thank you so much. I guess I have to go."

Nate Archibald's POV:
     "Jenny, I think it's time to call Ostroff. Jake just called. Liz is out of control."
     "Okay. I hate to do it, but it's out of control," she replies.
     We get into the car to get Liz. It's pouring. We see her, but not in the way we wanted.