Part one: Mackenzie meets Rick, and Carl

Hi my name is Mackenzie Claire Greene. I'm twelve years old. I live in Georgia on a farm with my Dad; Hershel, my mom Annette, my brother Shawn, And my older sisters Maggie and Beth.

     But, my life hasn't been that great lately. The world has been taken over by a disease that makes people come back from the dead and eat other people. And you can become one of 'em if your bitten or scratched.

     My mama and older brother died not too long ago because of it, they both got bit. I miss momma but she's gone now. Daddy has her and Shawn locked up in the barn with a few others like 'em. Says they're sick and we can keep 'em safe and in one place until the government finds a cure or somethin'.

      I've never actually seen someone being eaten alive by those things. Mama and Shawn were gone from the farm with Otis when they were bitten. Plus those dead things never really walk around the farm, I've only ever seen like two. I guess they're sticking close to the city.

      I was closer to my mama than I am to daddy he's just always working on something, he was a veterinarian, and a farmer. Mama used to sing to me a lot and it calmed me down. I miss it. Beth found out and now she sings to me to make me feel better. The same songs mama sang and everything. I love Beth she is a great big sister, and she has an amazing voice too.

       I was sitting on the porch with Maggie. We were talking when we heard a man screaming. We looked over to the field to see a man running with a boy in his arms. He's far away but it looks like his arms are covered in something red...is that BLOOD!

     Maggie stands up still looking at the field. And looks through binoculars to make sure she was seeing it correctly.

      "Dad!!" Maggie calls for our father who's in the house. Dad comes out with Beth, Jimmy, and Patrica as the man reaches the bottom step of the porch.

     "Was he bit?" Daddy asks the man. Who is panting from running from wherever he came.

     "Shot, by your man." The man says out of breath. Making my eyes go wide. Daddy walks off the porch to the man.

    "Otis?" Patricia ask.

     "He said find Hershel is that you?" The man continues to daddy ignoring Patricia daddy nods ,"Help me! Help me. My Boy!!" The man says crying.

"Get him inside." Daddy said as the man said his last statement. They start walking inside. I follow them, "Patricia I need my full kit! Maggie!"

"Yeah!" Maggie replied

  "Painkillers, coagulants, grab everything!"

    "Okay" Maggie says as daddy continued.

     "Clean towels, sheets, alcohol, In here!" Dad says as he rips the blanket off of the bed, and allows the man to lay the boy down. I run to the bathroom to grab some towels.

     When I come back I hand the towels to Beth which she lays on the bed. Daddy is getting the man to fold a pillowcase. To put on the boys wound I'm assuming. There is so much blood!.

"Put pressure on the wound." Dad instructs the man. Then he puts his stethoscope on the boys chest and starts listening. "I got a heartbeat." Dad says making the man visibly relax a little. I get relieved too,"It's faint."

"I got it step back." Patricia tells the man and moves into his place.

      "Maggie IV." Dad orders Maggie.

   "We need some space." Maggie tells the man trying to get him out of the way. As daddy asks him a question.

"Your name?!" Daddy asks.

"R-r-Rick Rick." He stutters obviously in shock.

  "Rick?"

    "I-I'm Rick, I'm Rick."

"Rick we're gonna do everything we can okay? You need to give us some room." Daddy says looking at Rick. Who stands hesitantly,"now." Rick still stands there not wanting to leave his son. "Mackenzie." Daddy looks to me wanting me to escort the man away, cause I know he don't want me watching either.

     I grab Ricks hand despite the blood, cautiously afraid he'll jerk it away, but he lets me. And I lead him outside. On the way I hear another man yell "move". When we walk outside onto the porch. A man with dark hair and Otis run to the bottom steps of the porch. I let go of ricks hand. He takes off his sheriffs hat.

"He's alive? He's still alive?" Otis asks, both men looking at Rick. Rick rubs the back of his hand that I was holding over his face. Causing the boys blood to go all over his face.

"Hey." the other man says to Rick softly, barely audible,"it's okay." He says softly again and starts to rub the blood off of ricks face with a red rag,"You got blood man." He hands the rag to Rick so he can wipe the blood off of his hands,"Okay I'll take it from you?" He takes the rag from Rick who is crying.

"My daddy's gonna help your boy. I promise you." I say softly. I've never really been that shy to strangers if I know they ain't gonna hurt me. I've just got a soft voice.

     Rick and the man glance at me, Rick just nods slightly still upset and looks away. The other man then looks at my hand that was holding ricks. Which has a little blood on it now. He passes the rag to me. I wipe the blood off my hand and give the rag back, giving the man a nod to thank him.

      Rick starts to walk back inside with the other man following. I decide to follow. Otis follows right behind me. We walk to the room daddy is working on the boy in. I stand in front of Otis and Jimmy.

    "You know his blood type?" Dad asks Rick.

"A positive same as mine." He answers. Which is funny cause that's my blood type to I got it from mama. Beth and Maggie got dads blood type.

"That's fortunate, don't wander far we're gonna need you." Daddy says then looks to Otis," how'd it happen?"

   "I-i was tracking a buck, the bullet went through it. It went clean through." Otis answers.

"It did, it slowed the bullet down." Dad says looking at the boy,"Which certainly saved his life...But, it did not go through clean. It broke up into pieces, we'll have to get the bullet fragments out. I'm counting 6." Dad says as Otis moved from behind me over to Patricia; his wife.

"I never saw him!" He whispered to her loudly, breathing heavily. Rick looked over his shoulder once,"Until he was on the ground." I could tell Rick was getting emotional again at this.

"Lori doesn't know, Lori doesn't know my wife doesn't know." He says crying while the other man wrapped his arm around his shoulder whispering to him trying to calm Rick down.

     God I hope this boy is okay, and daddy can help him. He looks to be the same age as me. Maybe if he's okay and he wakes up, daddy will let him and his group stay on the farm with us. We could be friends.

There ya go! Hope you liked the first chapter of Hershel Greene's Youngest Daughter. And, Mackenzie is played by Karley Scott Collins.

Please Vote and comment. ❤️😘