Chapter 1 - Different roads

Standing in the blistering 97° heat which is radiating from the roof of the mechanical workshop, I wipe my grease and dirt stained hands on the pants of my overalls and remove the hair elastic from its usual spot on my wrist tying my long, black hair into a messy bun on top of my head.

The time is 5 PM and though it's due to be dark in the next two hours, the sun setting and the sky becoming dark never takes the temperature with it during a Hills Valley Summer, in most cases there will be no temperature drop at all.

"Everything is clean and ready to go." Cali, the second year apprentice I work with announces as she makes her way from the back room to the front area once more.

"Perfect." I call over my shoulder and close the till before turning to Cali who is now standing behind me. "Our hard work paid off this week." I tell her as I hold out a wad of cash. "This is for you."

With widened eyes, she reluctantly takes the cash in her right hand and counts it. "Amity, there is five hundred dollars here." she states in pure shock as she peels her eyes away from the money and back to me.

"We made a lot of money this week, and I wouldn't be able to do it without you, so I'm splitting my bonus with you."

"But Boss would never split it half and half, you always get more than me because I'm still learning."

"Oh well, I'm the boss this week and I don't mind sharing." I give her a small smile.

"Wow, thank you" she breathes out in all but a whisper as she slips the cash into her backpack and places it on her shoulder.

"You're welcome, now go home, your Dad has been waiting out the front for five minutes, I'll see you on Monday."

"Thank-you again, bye Amity." she waves as she exits the shop via the large front roller door.

***

After sorting the money and locking up the shop, I make the twenty-minute drive home to the house I share with my parents, Dean and Evana Logan, and my twin sister Avery Logan.

Together we live in a stunning two story, six-bedroom mansion of sorts. The outside facade is brick, which has been cement rendered and painted in a light gray, with stunning gardens lining either side of the twisting driveway that leads to the front door of the house and the huge garage if you are to keep driving further around the driveway.

The inside of our home is just as beautiful, from the moment you step inside you're greeted with high ceilings, marble floors, and two twisting stair cases which meet in the middle of the second story of our home. Every room in the house is decorated in high gloss black and white furniture with only the slightest color pops here and there. Each room has its own private bathroom and a balcony, each room with a different view depending on where your room is in the house. Mine personally over looks the large roman style pool and spa and the large palm trees off in the distance.

But the best part of all is our beautiful home is nestled among the hills, locked away behind huge gates and far away from the hustle and bustle of the busy Californian streets.

After parking my car and exiting the garage, I make my way up the backstairs located to the side of the house, leading to the balcony overlooking the gardens of our backyard.

Reaching the large double glass doors, I pull them open and enter the house. The first thing I see is my Mother, Father, Sister Avery and our older brother Alex sitting at the table, and right away I can feel the tension in the air.

Dad is sitting at the head of the table dressed in a suit and tie, his usual work attire, however I can't help but notice the unnerved look on his face. His black, usually perfectly slicked back pompadour style hair, hanging messily with loose strands hanging in his face, and his ocean blue eyes focus on paperwork in his hands as he reads to the family.