Chapter 34 - Chet

Leaving Boston dead on the ground, I run in the opposite direction of the gun shots. Running as fast as my bare feet will take me. Under my feet are rocks and sticks and other small, sharp fragments. As I run, I can feel them cutting into my feet, they're bleeding badly, matching the knife wound to my shoulder, dry blood staining my arm. But I can't stop running, I can't look back, I need to keep moving.

"This way." I hear a male voice as he gets closer.

They've found me, I know they're close, but I have to keep running. Picking up speed, I move a little faster, reaching my arms out and grabbing onto the trees for support as I run by.

"Alex this way." I hear the voice again, and it stops me dead in my tracks.

Chet, it's Chet, I can hear his voice. He found me. I squeeze my eyes shut before opening them again. No, I have to be having some kind of hallucination from all the hits my head took earlier today, Chet is gone. They killed him. Keep running, Amity, I tell myself. Keep running.

Moving my legs once more, I run in the same direction I'd been running this entire time, I can't be sure it's the right way out, there are far too many trees in the way for me to see, but if I want to see my family again, I have to try.

Keeping my line of focus, I continue to run, but once more I stop in my tracks as I come face to face with him.

Chet.

"Amity!" Chet's eyes grow wide as he takes in the sight of me. Quickly, he moves toward me and pulls me into his arms. "Guys she's here." He yells out to whoever else he is with him.

"C- Chet." I pull back from the embrace, looking up at him."

"I'm here, Sweetheart." he whispers as he places his hand on my cheek, stroking it gently.

"B-but they told me you were dead." I tell him as tears stain my cheeks once more and I burry my face into his chest.

"Shhh, it's okay sweetheart, they were playing mind games with you, I'm perfectly fine." He whispers as he strokes my hair, holding my body close to his. "I'm here."

"Amity, are you okay?" A voice speaks from behind me and right away I know it's my father.

Pulling back from Chet's embrace, I look toward to my father who has Benz and Alex on either side of him.

"I-I'm okay." I tell them, still a little dazed.

"We need to get her home." Chet speaks as he picks me up bridal style. "Benz text Ryan and have him call the Doctor to look her over the second we arrive." He says as we make our way out of the bushland, heading in the direction I'd been running.

Weakly, I hold on to Chet as he carries me, but my arms grow tired quickly, as do my eyes and suddenly I'm fighting the urge to fall asleep, but I fight it and keep my eyes open, alert that anything could happen at any moment.

Reaching the car, Dad jumps into the driver's seat, and Benz in the front passenger seat, leaving the back for Chet, Alex and I. Alex opens the car door for Chet, and he places me down on the back seat before sliding in, pulling me back into his arms, my head resting on his chest as I curl up to him, finally feeling safe.

The moment Alex is in, Dad starts the engine and we speed back towards the main roads.

"Chet." I mumble softly.

"What is it, Sweetheart?" He whispers.

"My shoulder." I whisper.

He gently moves my tangled hair from my shoulder, and I look down to find it's bleeding once more. "Alex, give me your shirt, she's bleeding." He says looking toward my brother.