Chapter 52- Surprise

It's around 3:30 PM when the Mom's from daycare and a few of Chet's friends leave. The rest of our family and friends were all asked to stay for dinner, and they all agreed, which I was thankful for because Chet and I have a little surprise for all of them tonight.

Right on 4 PM I put Lane down for his lap, it's a lot later in the day than usual and I'll probably have trouble getting him to sleep tonight but we have a big night ahead of us, so he needs this nap, late or not.

With Chet downstairs entertaining everyone, I take some time to shower, fix my hair and reapply my makeup, this time doing it a little heavier. As I'm getting ready, I can't help but wonder if people are wondering why I'm not down there with them all after I asked them to stay, but I'm hopeful they'll think I'm having trouble getting Lane down.

Dressed in my robe, I make my way towards the window and look out into the backyard. Everyone is standing around talking, laughing, sharing a few drinks, everyone looks happy, and suddenly I feel all the nerves I've been feeling for the last hour and a half start to leave my body.

Knock knock, the bedroom door sounds.

"Am, can I come in?" Chet calls from outside the door.

"You can come in." I call back as I move away from the window and reach for my earrings on the bedside table.

The bedroom door opens, and Chet makes his way in, still dressed in his jeans and T-shirt. "I told them I was coming to check on you and Lane, that he was probably being fussy." He smiles as he makes his way in, closing the door behind him.

"He went to sleep right away, by the time you shower and get dressed he'll of been down for two hours, he shouldn't be cranky when you wake him."

Taking my hand, he pulls me close to him. "How are you feeling, sweetheart? You still want to do this?"

"Of course I still want to do this." I giggle softly as I look up at him. "Why have you changed your mind?"

"In your dreams, Amity Logan, you're stuck with me." He grins.

"I can think of worst people to be stuck with." I tease.

Tucking my dark curls behind my ear, he smiles down at me. "You look beautiful already." he leans in, pressing a kiss to my forehead.

"Stop it." I giggle softly as I push him back gently. "Go and get ready or you'll be late for dinner."

"I'll see you out there." He winks before turning on his heel, and making his way back toward the door, exiting the room.

Taking a deep breath, I make my way into our walk-in wardrobe and admire my dress for the night.

***

Chet's POV:

After a quick shower, I make my way back downstairs and toward the backyard carrying Lane, who is fresh from his two-hour nap. Both of us are now dressed in matching suits and have our hair slicked back in the same style.

Reaching the backyard, I get everyone's attention. "Yo guys, if you could all please follow me to dinner, Amity will join us in a moment." I announce before leading the way to the location for dinner, which is just behind the huge garages we held Lane's party in.

Somehow, we managed to keep this hidden all day, I thought for sure someone would discover our surprise, but thankfully no one did. The truth is, Amity and I have been working on this with the help of some planners for weeks. We wanted it to be a surprise for everyone and not have to ask anyone to keep secrets for us like we've had to in the past.