Chapter 45- Help

Waking to the sound of birds chirping loudly outside the bedroom window, I reach my arm across the mattress in search of Chet. When I don't find him, I frown softly and slowly open my eyes. As they adjust to the light, I turn my attention to the clock sitting on Chet's bedside table and find it's only 6 AM, and for the third time in as many days Chet is already out of bed and I would imagine in his home office where he spends a lot of his time of late.

A few weeks ago Chet and Dad came across a holding cell for the women who are being sex trafficked, and both of them have taken it hard. I'm not sure of the details, and Chet assures me I don't want to know, but I do know that it must be horrific to have a lasting effect on two men who have seen everything.

Sitting up, I swing my legs over the edge of the bed and stand to my feet slowly; I reach for my while silk robe I slide it over my arms, tying it just above my large bump and make my out of the room and down the hall towards Chet's office.

Reaching the door, I push it open slowly, and that's where I find him. He is standing in front of the large rectangular window staring out of it in deep thought, dressed in only his boxer shorts, his full body of tattoos on display.

Slowly, I make my way into the room. "Did you even come to bed last night?" I question softly as I wrap my arms around him. 

He jumps slightly at my touch, but turns to face me, wrapping his arms around me as best he can, my bump in the way. "No, I couldn't sleep." He shakes his head.

"Chet, I know you want to help these women, but I'm worried about you, this is really starting to affect you."

"Of course it's affecting me, you haven't seen what I've seen Amity." He huffs

"Hey." I whisper as I reach my hand up and place it on his cheek. "Please don't get cranky with me. I know this is hard on you, but I'm here for you, please don't push me away." I say sadly.

Sighing deeply, he shakes his head. "I'm sorry Sweetheart, you're right I've been keeping it to myself and it's causing me to snap, the last thing I want to do is push you away." he says softly before leaning in, pressing a small kiss to my lips. "It's just hard not to look at these women and see you, or our future daughter, or my sister, I just want this over with, I want to find these assholes and end it."

"I know you do, and you will, you're so close and you've worked so hard." I assure him.

"If we could just get these women to talk, maybe we could get somewhere." He sighs. 

"Has Sasha tried again?"

"She's tried, but it's of no use. And then I wonder how long are we meant to keep them at Sasha and Ryan's place? It's like they're still being held captive all over again by the people who said they were going to help them." He shakes his head in annoyance. "I think I'm going to have to call Officer Bradly in and release them into his care so he can get them back to their families, just like all the rest." 

After the house fire at my place and my disappearance followed by my reappearance and a dead body in woods, Chet opened up to Officer Bradly and informed him on what was happening and what he's been working on. The two of them then came to an agreement, an alliance if you will.

Officer Bradly doesn't know the full extent of what Chet does for a living, but what he knows is that it isn't always legal. As part of the deal they've made, Officer Bradly will turn a blind eye on Chet's illegal activity, on the condition that Chet keeps him up to date on what's happening with the trafficking ring; handing the girls over to him safely once they're found.

The agreement works perfectly because the police get the take the victory and Chet and our family are kept out of the limelight. 

But in the meantime, while all of this is happening, seeing Chet in this state is heartbreaking. I need to do something; I need to help; I need to at least try. But I know there is no way he's going to let me, so I won't ask, Ill take matters into my own hands.