Chapter 14 - Wreckage

Chet's POV:

After speaking to Markus on the phone and learning the warehouse had been completely gutted and there was nothing left, I let my anger get the better of me, and I snapped at Amity. I know that isn't an excuse because after all she was just trying to help, but this is a bigger deal than she could ever understand, and now isn't the right time to explain all of this to her.

Pulling up the where the warehouse once stood, Ryan stops the car and I stare out the passenger's side window to find it completely destroyed, only a few cement walls still standing.

The first thing that comes to mind is why. Since taking over from my father, I've made good with most other crews and their leaders, and even those who have stayed clear of me know it's no longer Dad running the Raven's, it's me.

The second thought hits me like a ton of bricks. How the hell am I going to explain this to the crews I am involved in dealings with? We had around one hundred thousand dollars' worth of drugs waiting to go out in the next shipment. That's a lot of pissed off leaders I'm going to have to try to explain myself too, and just hope that they know I'm nothing like my father and I had nothing to do with this, or I might find myself dead.

"You okay, man?" Ryan questions as he looks across at me from the driver's side of the car.

"Let's just get this over with." I tell him as I push the car door open and slide out, stepping onto the gravel on the ground.

Side by side, Ryan and I make our way towards the gutted building. Standing at what used to be the entry of the building is Markus who is talking to two members of the Springs police department and looks to be making a statement.

Striding my way towards them, I interrupt. "Can I help you with anything officers?"

Stopping mid sentence, Markus turns towards me, and the officer looks up from his notepad. "Are you the owner of the building, Sir?" he questions.

"It's my father building, but he passed away and left it to me, so yes, I guess that makes me the owner." I cross my arms over my chest.

"Your name?" He question as he places his pen to paper once more.

"Chet Raven," I reply instantly. "Do we have a problem here?"

"No sir, just trying to understand what happened here tonight, is it okay to ask you a few questions?"

"I wasn't here at the time so I don't think I can be of much help, but sure." I shrug.

"How did you come to find out about this?" He asks.

"Markus here was driving by, saw it on fire and phoned me right away, so I came down to inspect the damage."

"Is the building insured?"

"Why? Do you think I set fire to my own building for insurance money?" I scoff.

"No sir, I'm simply asking a question."

"I think so, I'd have to check my father's records, as I said before the building was handed down to me, I have nothing to do with it." I lie.

"Do you know of anyone who may want to hurt you? Anyone who would do this?" The questions continue.

"Not myself personally, but my father wasn't always on the best terms with most people."

"Right and-"

"Officer Bradley, I've found something." Another officer waves over the officer taking my statement.

"One moment." he says as he steps away.