Chapter 32 - Ambushed

It's been a week since Chet and I had dinner, a week since we talked things through, a week since we've been back together, and I can confirm we're now in a good place.

Believe it or not, during this last week, we managed to talk through all of our thoughts and feelings. I opened up and told him everything there is to know about me, stories from my childhood and what it was like growing up in a gang environment. And in return Chet told him about his childhood and what it was like growing up with an abusive father who he hated more than anything. All while fighting the urge to rip each other's clothes off.

During our days of only talking, we laughed together; we smiled together and what's more we cried together. The stories Chet told me about his father and the things he did to him, it broke my heart, I never want him to feel that way again, I'll do whatever I can to make sure he's protected and loved even if it means getting into trouble myself.

"Sweetheart." Chet shakes me awake gently.

"Mmm?" I hum as I snuggle into him.

"Ryan phoned, I need to get down to the warehouse now." He whispers, worry filling his voice.

"Is everything okay?" I question as I sit up quickly.

"The alarms are showing movment inside, but no one is there today." He whispers as he moves my messy dark hair from my face.

"Do you want me to come with you?"

"No baby, Ryan and Markus are on the way, you stay here and get some more sleep, it's still early."

"Okay." I sigh and lean up kissing his lips a few times "Please be careful."

"Always." He places his right hand under my chin and presses his lips to mine softly and stands to his feet headed for the door. The feelings of his lips, still lingering on mine.

"Chet." I call after him

"Yeah?" He turns around

"I lov-" Realizing what's about to come out of my mouth, I shut it quickly and shake my head before speaking again. "Just b-be careful."

"I will." He smiles softly before turning once more, heading out the door.

Throwing myself back down to the mattress, I stare at the cream roof above me and let out a deep breath. I almost told him, I love him. What the hell was I thinking? I only just got him back, I'd scare him away for life if I dropped the L word on him so soon.

But I almost said I love him, and I do, I have fallen head over heels in love with Chet Raven.

Lost in my own thoughts, I must have been laying here zoned out for longer than I realized before I hear the front door open. Maybe it was a false alarm, I definitely wasn't laying here long enough for Chet to get the warehouse and back. Sliding out of bed, I pull my silk nightgown over my body and make my way down the hall.

"False alarm?" I question with a smile, reaching the end of the hall.

That's when I see him, a man, a man who isn't Chet, a man I have never seen before standing in my living room with a sinister smirk on his face. My fight-or-flight instincts kick in right away and I swing a punch at the man as he makes his way toward me, my fist colliding with his jaw

"Who the fuck are you?" I yell as he hits the ground.

"Stupid fucking bitch." He spits as he wipes the blood from his mouth and attempts to stand up.

Quickly, I walk backward toward the shelving in my living room, and run the back of my hand against it, feeling for the handle to pull the draw open without making any sudden movements. I keep one of my many guns in this draw, I just need to reach it.