Chapter 36 - Engaged

Four weeks have passed since Chet's birthday and things between us get better and better each day. I didn't think it was possible, but somehow, we've become closer than ever. I love being here with him; I love living with him; I love waking up to him every day; I love having dinner together, watching T.V together, all the things I never thought I wanted in life, I do with Chet.

Last week I took the week off work, leaving the shop in the very capable hands of Austin. It took a little while, but finally the insurance money from the house fire came in and with that I spent the week shopping, buying things like clothing and shoes, everything I needed to start rebuilding my life.

Unfortunately, there are things I'll never be able to replace like photos and the stuffed bear I've had since I was a baby and the thought of items like that being gone makes me really sad, but sometimes you have to take a deep breath and remind yourself you're alive and that is what's important.

Sitting at the kitchen table, I scroll through a few pages of properties for sale in the area. This time I think I'd like to live in a gated community like Chet and Sasha do, not just to be closer to them, but to feel safer. Maybe if I had been living in a gated community in the first place, none of this would have happened.

"You better call your Mom and inform her she has an engagement party to cater" Chet chuckles as he enters the house via the front door and makes his way toward the kitchen. As he reaches, I take him in, a sweaty mess, dressed in only his outwork shorts.

"He asked her?" I question excitedly.

"Not yet." He shakes his head. "He's asking her tonight." He makes his way into the kitchen and grabs a bottle of water from the fridge.

"Aw, this is so exciting. I'm so happy for them, Sasha is going to be so excited."

"Yeah well, you just remember to sound surprised." He points at me with another small chuckle.

"I will." I nod before turning my attention back to the laptop screen, moving the mouse further down the page as I continue searching.

"You seem invested." He comments as he makes his way over and leans down kissing the top of my head.

"I'm just seeing what's around." I shrug.

His eyes scan over the web page and he frowns slightly, "You know you can stay here as long as you want, right?"

"Of course," I look up at him with a smile "But I have to find a place eventually so I thought I better start looking now."

"You don't have to find a place."

"Meaning?" I question, turning my head to the side.

"Meaning, you can move in with me."

"Do you want me to move in with you, or are you just saying that because you feel sorry for me because I'm homeless?" I raise a brow.

Bursting out laughing, he shakes his head. "You're not homeless, you have a home right here with me." He takes my hand and pulls me to my feet. "I want you to move in with me, what's the point of buying a house around the corner when you can stay here with me?"

"You have a point." I nod.

"And besides, you don't get to wake up to this sexy face every morning if you don't live here." He teases.

"Mmm, true." I scrunch up my nose with another giggle.

"Settled then?"

"Okay." I nod

"Okay isn't an answer Amity, didn't we go over this like four months ago when I asked you to be my girlfriend?"

"Okay, I'll move in with you!" I boop him on nose gently with my index finger "But you know that means you have to share your walk-in with me right?"