Chapter 23 - Ride or die

Hand in hand Chet and I make our way towards the dance floor once we reach, we slide into the only free space left which is next to Avery and Ezra who are still dancing together.

Spotting me, Avery raises her brows in surprise. "Amity, you don't dance."

"Oh she dances, believe me." Chet smirks as he looks down at me, pulling my body closer to his.

"Do I even want to know?" Avery giggles loudly over the music as she and Ezra continue to dance.

Smiling, I turn my attention back to Chet; I place one hand on his shoulder, while the other is held in his hand. As I follow his lead and we begin to dance, the music changes and 'Take my hand' By Emily Hackett & Will Anderson plays the last slow dance song to play before the party music starts for the rest of the night.

"Is this right? I have no idea what I'm doing." I giggle softly as I look up at Chet.

"You're doing just fine, Sweetheart." He says as he gently slides his hand further down my back, leaving it on the small of my back as he pulls my body closer to his.

As we dance together, I follow his lead closely, not wanting to step on his foot and crash into anyone else dancing around us, I count the steps in my head as we move, slowly getting it.

"See you're not that bad." He teases with a grin,

"I haven't stood on your foot yet but I probably will." I giggle as I look up at him.

As we spin in a circle once more, I spot my Mom and Avery, both of whom have their eyes glued to Chet and I, watching us as we dance with smiles on their faces. Usually I would have something witty to say about that, but dancing with Chet, it feels right, and even though I know people are watching us, I feel like it's only him and I in this moment.

Turning my attention back to him, I smile softly, realizing his eyes are yet to leave me. Slowly, he leans down and rests his forehead on mine.

"You really do look beautiful tonight, Am." He whispers.

"Thank-you." I all but whisper back as we continue to dance.

As we move, I take in the words of the playing song, not only listening with my ears but with my heart, the lyrics speaking to me. The song is about a girl who didn't know what love was until she shared her first kiss with the man she's falling in love with. He came to her out of nowhere, one day they were perfect strangers and the next he waltzed into her life like it was planned.

As I listen, I can't help but relate to the words, I have no idea what love is and maybe I don't even know but kissing Chet has always felt different to anyone else I've kissed, he too was once a perfect stranger, but out of all the mechanic shops in Springs he walked into mine, he waltzed right through the door and into my life, like it was meant to happen this way.

As we continue to move, I keep my soul focus on Chet, not worried about anyone else around us, not caring about who may be watching. I can only imagine this is what it feels like to be in one of those movies where the world disappears and it's just the two lead characters dancing together.

Maybe I was silly to wonder if our talk and opening up to each other was going to make things harder between us, maybe I was silly to think Chet would regret opening up to me, because ever since he did, I feel closer to him more than I ever have before. He's shown me an entirely new side to him, a softer side, a sweet side, a side that could make me fall in love with him if I'm not careful.

As the song comes to an end and loud dance music begins to play, I pull back slightly and bite down on my bottom lip. "That wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be."