Chapter 30 - Swim

After listening to Paisley's instructions, Chet nods his head and swims toward me with a smirk on his face.

Go away." I shoot him another warning glare and he laughs.

"I have to pass on the secret to you." He tells me as he places one arm on either side of me and using his wrists, pushes his arms up, leaning in towards my ear.

As I gulp softly, I pray he doesn't notice how nervous I feel. It's been a while since we've been this close to each other and I'd be lying if I said my body wasn't reacting to his, even though it shouldn't be.

"There was no secret," He whispers and places both of his hands on my hips, he picks me up, spinning me around in his arms quickly before throwing me into the pool behind him.

As I re-surface, I open my eyes and look toward Chet and P, who are both laughing and high-fiving each other. "Very funny."

"It was P's idea." Chet holds up his hands in defense.

"Chetty, you weren't meant to tell her that." Paisley gasps.

***

We spend a few hours in the pool together, playing games like Marco Polo, and a game Paisley came up with all on her own, where Chet had to see how far he could throw us in the water. At first our touching was extremely awkward, but after a while my body seemed to relax into it. As much as I cursed it for doing so.

Stepping out of the pool, I check the time on my phone to find it's almost 8:30 PM. "Are you tired P, it's way past your bedtime." I tell her.

She nods her head and snuggles into Chet who is currently holding her in the water.

"Let's get you to bed." Chet tells her softly as she makes his way toward the edge of the pool, taking each step carefully, not wanting to fall with her in his arms.

The moment he is close enough, I wrap Paisley's towel around her and rub it gently with my hands, drying her off and keeping her warm. "Let's get you out of the cold and into a warm bath." I take her from Chet and enter the house, carrying her down the hallway and into the bathroom.

Once we reach the bathroom, I place her down on her feet and kneel in front of the bath, turning on both the hot and cold water taps, checking the temperature is just right before helping her out of her swimmers and into the bath.

With Paisley bathed, her hair washed and dried and now dressed in her pajamas, I carry her back down the hall and into the kitchen area where Chet is standing, leaning against the kitchen counter on his phone. "Would you mind taking her to bed, I'm going to take a shower and get dressed."

"Of course." he puts his phone down quickly and takes her from my arms.

***

Buzz, Buzz.

Chet's phone vibrates on the coffee table in front of me for the millionth time since he's been in the shower. Text message after text message coming in. As I look towards the phone for a little longer than I should, I feel my heart sink. Maybe he's met someone else already. For a moment I fight the urge to pick up his phone and check, but I have no right to do that, Chet and I are no longer together and no matter what twinge of jealousy feel in my heart, I have no right to look at his text messages.

Making his way back down the hall dressed in his boxer shorts, Chet soon joins me on the couch, flopping down next to me.

"Your girlfriend is blowing up your phone." I tease, as he had done me the night he found me sitting alone at the bar, right before I got kicked out.